strange sound issue?????

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Adamlovesu, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Adamlovesu macrumors newbie

hey guys , so i come home today turn on my brand new imac and notice my speakers arent working... i tried everything and they just wouldnt output sound not even when raising and lowering the sound level.... i then plugged in a set of headphones and got sound and then unplugged them and they worked again.... is this a serious issue ...

2. Mr Rogers macrumors regular

Your sound issue

Have you tried going into preferences and making sure Sound is set for internal speakers and not any other output devices - I had similar problems when using Plex and resolved the issue quite simply.

It may also be an idea to try some files in VLC and change sound output choices on that, if it works that way, at least you know its not an hardware issue.

3. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Hard to tell with the information you provided. See if it happens again, check your sound prefs.

4. Adamlovesu thread starter macrumors newbie

at first it said selected sound output device not internal... but the thing is this has never happened before...... just today and i havent changed my sond prefs at all..... maybe i should do an exchange?

5. Mr Rogers macrumors regular

Does this mean you now have sound again?

Let me get this correct, you have gone into Sound in System Prefs, made sure its on internal, ie, your iMac speakers, and then tested to see it works?

If your Sound Pref's keep changing, not sure what the issue is - first best make sure its not a hardware issue - run the hardware tester that comes with your install discs - this should give an idea if you have any issues.

If its software, just re-install is my advice if you have a back-up.

I always do a Custom Install and only instal whats necessary, that being the basic OS, forget fonts, languages or printer drivers - install these later and as required.

After OS instal, check with disc warrior or similar app, even good ole disk repair in utilities, verify and repair permissions.

If you still have issues and its within its 14 day exchange period, change it or else it will be in for a repair.

6. Adamlovesu thread starter macrumors newbie

ah good i will do this then. it works now though lol.... would a software install fix a stuck pixel as well?

7. Mr Rogers macrumors regular

Glad you got sound back

A dead pixel is a dead pixel I believe, go through the big posts on the yellow tint matter, somewhere in there is a link to a screen check for both yellow tint and dead pixel checker, if you have quite a few dead pixels, over six or eight I think, you may be able to get a replacement.

Check for yellow tint first, if you have a yellow tint in lower third of LCD screen, get it changed, you may have better luck with a newer machine.