Strange sound on new MBP's (2016) touchpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Woyzeck, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Woyzeck macrumors 6502

Hi,

my new 2016 MBP's touchpad shows some strange behaviour.

First of all, it bends when I press it firmly in the upper part. The middle part of it moves down for about 1mm. Is that the way it should work ?

Second, and more annoying: from time to time, even when I just use tap-to-click (so that the touchpad doesn't move down or provide any force feedback), the touchpad does some strange clicking sound after a few seconds. This sound is emitted by itself, so there's no clicking involved by myself at all. It just happens after a few seconds. It's difficult to describe, but it's not the same sound when pressing it.

Is this normal ?

2. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

Mine bends in the middle. It's more than likely due to it being so large.

3. Woyzeck thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, thank you for that fast reply !

Does it make that strange click after using tap-to-click ?

4. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

I haven't noticed to be honest. I've been mostly using in a loud environment. That bend is causing a gap that I'm wondering will cause an issue with debris

5. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

Yes, mine bends in the top middle if pressed hard enough for a "force click" to register. I was wondering if they are all like that or there might be a manufacturing issue... Haven't seen that before on any of the other Apple trackpads I've used.

6. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

Just got back from the local Apple Store... 13" & 15" display models had the same bend in the middle. I can almost understand the 15"s due to the size. They were pretty busy so I didn't show mine to the techs.

7. Woyzeck thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, I hope that this won't become a problem in the future due to wear and tear.

Btw. I observed that cracking sound yesterday even when the MacBook was turned off and I opened my room's window. The temperature in the room dropped from 20 to about 14 degrees celsius and heck, there was that cracking sound again.

So it seems that there's some thermal expansion running in those MacBooks. That doesn't sound good either. Hopefully it's not a vital part in that machine that expands and shrinks...