strange sound

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jaiden, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Jaiden macrumors member

hi, my iMac was making this weird sound the other day, and it just made it again and I'm not sure what it means. No messages have popped up accompanying it, not are any icons bouncing. The sound is actually like 2 sounds played really close together (a fraction of a second), and it sounds kinda like a really old car's horn. It sounds like a warning or something. Any ideas as to what it might be?

2. I'm a ROb macrumors member

No clue what exactly you're meaning. Is it the iMac itself (the hardware) that makes it (eg the harddrive or so), or does the OS makes the sound (comes through the speakers)?

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you can't more accurately describe the sound, open up QuickTime and let it record audio in the background until you hear it. Then just cut out the part of the recording that has no sound and upload the file to here. If it's hardware, you should be able to pick a little bit of it up, and if it's software, you should have your speakers turned all the way up while you're recording. (Listening to music or watching a video is obviously not recommended during this time)

4. Jaiden thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm not saying it's a hardware sound, like humming or hard drive sounds or anything, it's an actual os sound. I doubt it will come up again, it's only sounded twice since I've gotten the computer around a month or so ago, but there is this one sound that does keep coming up.

I'm pretty sure this is it, but I can't be certain, I just used the "Funk" alarm from ical, which I'm pretty sure it is. It just seems to sound at random times, and I have no idea what it is. I have no alarms set with this sound effect, but it still sounds all the time. Any ideas?

5. !on macrumors member

it's not yer battery going down is it? only thing i can think of atm

6. Jaiden thread starter macrumors member

no, i have an imac. Also I realized that the sound isn't the "Funk" alarm in iCal, it's something completely different