Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I can't tell if its my SMS or my DVD drive, but every now and then (once every few hrs), I hear an audible click.

This only started happening after I upgraded to Leopard.

wtf is going on? o_O

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Leopard could be indexing spotlight (can take a whole day to do), or performing the initial run of time machine.

Your hard drive will be a bit louder during this time. Also your caches are being set up, so it will slow things down for a little while and increase chatter until it is optimized.

Give it a day or two, if it still keeps up, you might have a physical problem with your hard drive.

Also bear in mind, Leopard is harder on your system resources, so if you only have a little ram (say less than a gig) it could be swapping to page file more often, as less ram is available with Leopard then with Tiger.

Mr Black

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
Ontario, Canada
yeah Ive got a mid 2007 MB, and I have that exact same issue. Its just like a brief "Click" every like 4 hours I would say. I assume its the superdrive spinning up for some sort of internal self test.

cygni

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2005
Oooh, I have the click!
I can add that I do not have spotlight running and memory is the stock 1 gig.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I've been getting the same clicking sound, to me it sounds like something (application wise, possibly the OS) is trying to access the optical drive but the oddest thing, the drive is always empty.

I was about to post a thread about this.. then i saw this one!
Kinda glad it's not my MBP acting up! ;)

Though I can't imagine Spotlight trying to index a empty drive...
shouldn't it know it's empty? :confused:

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I've been getting the same clicking sound, to me it sounds like something (application wise, possibly the OS) is trying to access the optical drive but the oddest thing, the drive is always empty.

I was about to post a thread about this.. then i saw this one!
Kinda glad it's not my MBP acting up! ;)

Though I can't imagine Spotlight trying to index a empty drive...
shouldn't it know it's empty? :confused:

Well, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.
I have 2GB in the machine, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Sorta weird....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.