Strange sporadic noises from laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shlee10, May 6, 2011.

1. shlee10 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    For the past month or so, my Macbook Pro has been emitting this one really strange noise almost as frequently as three times a day. It's actually pretty startling because I keep my volume high for my music and then suddenly the noise will happen and I'll get really scared. It only lasts for about a second, but it's the same noise every time and it's a combination of sounding static-y and electronic at the same time, if that makes any sense at all. Hard to describe. Anyway, what should I do? Does it mean I have some sort of virus or something? Because I got this laptop from someone who works at Apple, I apparently can't just bring it into an Apple store for repairs, but have to ship it to California's HQ directly so I'm hoping to avoid sending it if not necessary.

Thanks in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

Also, you should be able to take it to any Apple store, regardless of where you got it. Apple Portables: Hard drives and noise