Strange SSD usage on MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mazstar1980, Jun 30, 2012.

1. mazstar1980 macrumors member

Feb 4, 2010
    I recently got a new Macbook Air and decided I would use Migration Assistant to transfer data and settings.

Things didn't work out as smoothly – I assumed it would be as simple as mirroring everything I have onto my new machine.

I created my new profile first and then migrated x2 of the same user accounts (accidentally) and Applications. I went to delete those 2 user accounts through system preferences and it was saying "Deleting User Accounts" for ages so I forced quit. The user accounts were gone and I manually deleted the folders (although they had very little data in them anyway).

Short story is that I have used 30GB of data even though my Applications were about 5GB only. My user accounts folder is now saying I have 2GB but checking the folders separately I only have about 400mB max – where is the 1.6GB coming from.

Even when I count all my folders together it does not amount to 29.8GB – probably amounts close to 20GB and even that is too much. I have fixed permissions but that didn't do it.

Is there anyway of fixing this without clean install?
  2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question: