Strange surface feedback when charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Demonknight, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Demonknight macrumors newbie

I have a Retina MacBook Pro 13" early 2015 version. I noticed that when the MacBook is on charge there's a strange feedback when I run my fingers over the surface of the MacBook case to the right and left of the trackpad. As soon as I unplug the MacBook's power cable the strange feedback goes away. The feedback feels like there's a slight buzzing going through my fingers. Is this normal or should I schedule a Genius Bar appointment?

2. Demonknight thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems it's the power adapter as the feedback is also on the Magsafe connector. I've booked a Genius appointment.

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Save your time, and use the provided extension lead, it`s just the lack of earth when connecting directly with the power supply, all unibody Mac`s do this. If you choose not to use the extension lead, neither you or your Mac will have any problem :)

Q-6

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Use the grounded, 3 prong lead and it'll go away.

5. abta1 macrumors 6502

I have experienced this with both my current 13" 2015 MPB and my 2013 11" MBA. It's nothing to be worried about.

6. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

It's perfectly normal. You'll find that the iPad also does it.

7. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

I agree, it's normal. My MacBook does it, my girlfriend's iPad Mini does it.

8. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

it's even better if while you are touching your laptop, you stroke somebodies cheek or arm, they get to feel the 'buzz' too.

9. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

1. Use your MacBook
    2. Touch your partner's ... you know ... with the other hand
    3. Both pleased :D:D

10. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

It may be common but I don't agree it's normal. Yes, my MBP does it but not a single other two-pronged metal appliance in my house does it.

11. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Well pretty much all of Apple's aluminium products do it, so if consider it pretty normal.

Found this:

When you plug your iPad into a wall outlet (or any charger for that matter), you would think the current should go into the device alone. Well, it doesn’t. Some of the charge is dispersed along the metal case by design. Here is a comment on Apple’s forum quoted from Apple’s support team regarding this issue:

There is measurable AC voltage across the external metal parts when an iPad charges. The measured voltage is within the SELV (Separated Extra-Low Voltage) limit, which means that the iPad is safe to touch. Additionally, the touch current is within the safety limit according to UL/IEC 60950 (Safety of Information Technology Equipment).[1]

12. RobbieTT macrumors member

As I do not experience this here in the UK I would suggest it is an American domestic power issue and your use of 2-pin plugs. The first time I took a aluminium unibody to the States I found the sensation a bit odd, but then again I find the spark you get unplugging an iron in the States a bit rustic!

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It does happen in the UK if you use the duckhead rather than lead

14. Godzirra macrumors 6502

Somewhere on Salisbury plain, and Apple, UK
    As Gav2k said, use the extended lead, as that is earthed correctly. The duck head adapter has no earth connection.

15. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I'm in the UK and it does occur on both Macs and iPads.

16. abta1 macrumors 6502

I have experience it in both the UK and USA, as well as in Europe.

17. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

THIS. EXACTLY THIS. I've had this many times on my old MacBook Air but have yet to experience it with my MacBook Pro. It was extremely dependent on what power socket I was charging on. In the Netherlands by the way. I had to touch the whole device to something like a steal radiator or a copper pipe to ground itself and it went away after that, for a short while that is. It's static electricity that jumps from an exposed power ping on the motherboard (or something similar) to the case which stores the charge until you discharge it with something conductive.