Strange thing in the OSX EULA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nexx892, Aug 8, 2010.

1. nexx892 macrumors newbie

PLEASE READ THIS SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT ("LICENSE") CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE APPLE SOFTWARE. BY USING THE APPLE SOFTWARE, YOU ARE
    AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE, DO NOT USE THE SOFTWARE. IF YOU DO NOT
    AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THE LICENSE, YOU MAY RETURN THE APPLE SOFTWARE TO THE PLACE WHERE YOU OBTAINED IT FOR A REFUND.
    IF THE APPLE
    SOFTWARE WAS ACCESSED ELECTRONICALLY, CLICK "DISAGREE/DECLINE". FOR APPLE SOFTWARE INCLUDED WITH YOUR PURCHASE OF HARDWARE, YOU MUST
    RETURN THE ENTIRE HARDWARE/SOFTWARE PACKAGE IN ORDER TO OBTAIN A REFUND.

I never accepted that because I installed linux.

Does apple not have **** on 30 days to return.

Say could you return it 6 months later?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Only if you haven't installed it before because installing it requires you to accept the EULA. I think that pops up when you're booting you're Mac for the first time so you can't use OS X unless you agree with that

3. nexx892 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

You can get a return within 14 days by paying a restocking fee.

You're not going to have any luck trying to game the eula to get a refund 6 months after you bought the machine.

5. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Under what specific grounds would you be returning it?

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...try it, see what the apple store says and let us know...

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

you cannot wait 6 months and then decide you do not want to agree with the EULA,

that EULA only gives you a REASON to return it within the regular return period.

so if in the 30 days you do not agree with the EULA you can return the hardware and software, no where in there does it say you can return it whenever your done using it because you dont like what the eula says after 6 months.

8. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

Unless Apple changes the EULA you cant change it now on the grounds you don't agree with it.

9. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

No you can't. Thats because you agreed to these terms when you opened your MacBook Pro (when you cut through the plastic wrap around the original MacBook Pro with the white sticker on it saying "By opening this product you agree to EULA").

They are not that naive ;)

10. FnuGk macrumors regular

it should be possible if you bring a lawyer when you try to get your refund but im afraid you only get a refund for the software but still have to return your hardware so its kind of a loose for you

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes bringing your attorney is quite a cost effective solution.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

Especially if it's one of those lawyers who charges $400 per hour.

13. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

And especially if you're gonna loose, since you AGREED to those terms (see my quote above).

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Good call, I never even looked at that white sticker. Yep, Apple is smart enough to know that people try to get around so many loopholes.

15. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Read: ...you MAY return it...
    you don’t HAVE to.

Also, why get a Mac just to install linux on it?

16. wschutz macrumors 6502

Not Apple... lawyers...
    And it's not people trying to get around... it's something called consumer rights. I've never understood why I am supposed to pay for a license that I may not use (read Apple with Mac OS X or read Dell with Windows).

Because I can? Because I want to? Isn't that enough? Am I forced to use Mac OS X on a mac, which is just an Apple branded PC?

17. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I know but why wouldn’t you get a cheaper machine to install linux on?

18. wschutz macrumors 6502

I'll give you an example ;)
    Many people use the mac mini as a media center, and for that purpose they could use any small computer; but I have to agree that a mac mini is one of the most efficient computers out there, in terms of power, size and energy.

Even though I disagree and fight Apple a lot... I gotta admit that their designs are quite innovative (and rather good) and that's why I value mac (along with the os x experience if you want to use mac os x of course, but nowadays you can get that on any hackintosh)... I don't value the components used inside macs because they are the same as any other pc and many times they are obsolete but overpriced.

19. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

dont like the agreement....dont buy it simple,

because you can....yes you can...but your agreeing to there terms
    because you want to...yes...you may want to but again, agree with it or pound salt, its there agreement you either agree or dont buy...simple.

20. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

So do you fall under the ‘I buy it ‘cause its shiny’ category?

21. wschutz macrumors 6502

Wrong! There are consumer rights and abusive terms ;) At least where I live... in a country member of the EU. It wouldn't be the first time that a big corporation is forced to change its flag product as a result of consumers' claims (Remember Microsoft, Windows and Internet Explorer?).
    So no, you may still disagree with the terms even when you break the seal, because those are the company's terms, and they might abide by the law or not ;)
    Moreover I think it was not a long time ago since HP or Dell had to refund the Windows license to some customers because they disagreed with the terms of the license if I recall correctly...

Hell no! :) I fall under the category of "I buy because I'm tired of computers...".
    Translate this as... I work on the computer science area... which is what I studied for, but after so many years, I got tired of buying computers (the process), and now they are just a tool for me. I could have bought a Dell pretty much for the same reason I buy now Apple... but I once decided to try mac, and since then I enjoy the workflow of mac os x and its usability (which is what I value, the computer itself is secondary for me, though there are some things that are interesting such as the battery life, but that's easy to achieve when you develop for a discrete number of components like Apple does); plus it has the core of *nix (I use a lot linux). Though I have to recognise that Windows 7 has improved a lot (I haven't used it more than three times), and it's seems a good competitor of mac os x.

22. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Okay, I was under the impression that you formatted your harddrive as soon as you bought your Mac and installed linux as the OS.

23. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

were talking about a much different situation, you agree to software terms when you open the package of the computer, the eula can be read on there website, if you fail to read it or are just to ignorant to read it then thats not the fault of apple.

dell's machine's the eula is agreed to before operation of windows due to the OEM agreement dell has with microsoft.

i would like to see some proof in EU that they will protect you against you not reading the eula and just opening the packaging and deciding you no longer want to agree with something you read.

PS. dell only refunded the software portions of the purchase, apple is a software and hardware combo, where you agree to accept osx on the hardware.

24. nexx892 thread starter macrumors newbie

Then you are correct. Iunno where this sticker is.
    Clear plastic has no sticker.

I see something on the software and sticker stuff but it just says the use of this software is subject to the eula.

Anyway, I just think OSX is hard to use and a messy badly made OS.

Everybodys gots a opinion.