Strange thing just happened...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dance2noise002, Aug 30, 2009.

1. dance2noise002 macrumors member

I have late 2007 Mac mini and I have Snow Leopard installed and I was simply watching a Youtube video and then all of a sudden the entire system freezes (couldn't move the mouse) or anything and started choking on the audio (replaying a bit over and over)... had to manually power it off. The hard drive was replaced several months ago at the Apple Store... so I doubt it's the HD.

The Mini is back on now of course... it's running fine, but I've never seen anything like that before.

Anyone else ever have this issue?

2. lamadude macrumors 6502

Haven't had that problem, maybe it's an issue with Flash

3. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You must mean mid-'07. There never was a late-'07.

If it were Flash issue, just Flash would have crashed; plugins for Safari are separate processes [from Safari] in SL, so if it were Flash, you'd only need to reload the page.

4. dance2noise002 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah mid 2007... 1.83GHz... and I'm really not sure if it was the Flash that caused it or not, because the entire system froze !!

5. adammelancon macrumors member

I had this issue when I had some bad RAM. I purchased the 4GB kit from Crucial, and I'm not sure if it was a seating problem or just some bad sticks.

Did you just upgrade your RAM too?

Here is what mine was doing on Hulu when the problem happened.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB0k4hmSeL8

I replaced mine with RAM from a different company and it works fine now.

6. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Could be a number of things, but never rule out a bad hard drive. Make sure your data is backed up, and verify your startup disk just to be sure.

7. dance2noise002 thread starter macrumors member

No, I have never upgraded the RAM on this machine.

8. adammelancon macrumors member

I would still possibly take your RAM out and re-seat it in there to make sure it has a good connection.

9. indg macrumors 6502

sounds like a similar problem that the 2006 imacs are having. it's possible the mac mini has the same logic board defect. the gui freezes (you can still move the spinning pinwheel but can't click anything), and if you were playing video when it froze, the picture is frozen but audio continues to play or loop.

this is mostly likely due to overheating. flash generally causes higher cpu usage, which causes more heat. is it hotter than usual where you are? it might just be coincidence that you had just installed snow leopard. if the problem persists, it's most likely a hardware issue.

10. dance2noise002 thread starter macrumors member

I think it might have been a heat issue, I noticed the fans were a bit louder than usual... I usually use iStat menus to gauge my temperatures but since it's not yet ready for Snow Leopard I think I let it get too hot.

I should have just installed the dashboard version of iStat instead!

11. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

smcFanControl works.

12. Highland macrumors regular

iStat Pro and iStat nano are Snow Leopard compatible. iStat Menus isn't yet, but should be released very soon.