Strange things after reformat. I'm scared. HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lester52, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Lester52 macrumors member

After reformatting I got to the setup screen after the cool intro. I noticed several problems.

When on the screen asking about transferring files from another computer I chose no since I have none to transfer. But after choosing my option and trying to move forward it sat on that screen for a while until it finally moved forward. It didn't do this before.

On the screen where you'd set up your internet connection and it lists available wireless networks it was slow on there too. It took me a while to move forward after choosing a different option. It took a while to recognize that I had hit a different option. Again, it didn't do this before.

Under the internet sharing option it listed an option called bluetooth DUN. This option wasn't there before. If I recall it only used to list ethernate and airport under these options, but bluetooth DUN was the first option listed. I reformatted again because this seemed too strange, but even though ethernate was listed first bluetooth DUN was still is this listing.

On the second reformat I got a message when turning airport off. I was dumb and didn't write the message down, but I believe it said something about airport power. Again, I didn't get this message before. Not when I first set up my Mac and not on the first reformat.

None of this has happened before. It bothers me. What's wrong?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What Mac with what Mac OS X version do you use?

3. Lester52 thread starter macrumors member

I'm on a white Macbook. How do I check what version of Mac OS X I have?

4. Lester52 thread starter macrumors member

I'm using version 10.6.2

Processor: 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

5. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

It probably did.
    It doesn't seem like there's an actual issue here. Disk access slows down after a reformat as Spotlight builds its index.
    If your Mac has Bluetooth, which it almost certainly does, Bluetooth modem sharing will be an option under Internet sharing. Bluetooth DUN (Dial-up Networking) is for using a Bluetooth-capable cellular phone/modem to connect to the Internet.
    How often do you reformat that you're so convinced of this? Why are you reformatting in the first place? There doesn't appear to be anything wrong at all.