Strange things that you told others who believed you.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dogbone, Apr 23, 2007.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

The strangest thing I can remember is when I was going to a class on the other side of the harbour bridge and when I arrived someone making some small talk said 'how did you get here did you come over the bridge'. I had only recently read somewhere that if you can say something seriously enough then people will believe anything. So on the spur of the moment I said casually 'No, I came under the bridge', they said 'under the bridge?' and I said "yeah, I came with my scuba diving gear and left my car and walked under the water to get here.

I expected her to laugh but was astounded to see that she believed the story. Which is a bit of a worry.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I used to go out with a girl from Blackpool, near to which there is a town called Fleetwood. I once jokingly told her that Fleetwood Mac were from there, and were so proud of their home town that they named their band after it.

I thought nothing more about it until about a year later, when I got a snotty note from her calling me a liar – Fleetwood Mac aren’t from Fleetwood at all she wrote, in fact some of them are American! :D

I do have a tendency for telling people daft stuff that I don’t expect them to believe in a million years, but I manage to say it in such a convincing fashion that they believe me. I have no shame. :p

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Only very slightly off topic.

When my friend was about 10 her brother told her that the button on the handbrake was dangerous as the passenger seat was actually an ejector seat.

She believed this right up until her first driving lesson when the instructor asked her to move off.

4. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I convinced somebody that the reason chrome is called chrome is because if you take several pieces of chromed metal and hold them extremely close they will resonate in a high pitched note the word "chrooooooooome"

5. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I was in the middle of a flight and as a joke started to talk on the phone (mobil) which went on for 5 mins and my friend was amazed that i could get signal at 30k feet :)

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

No waaaay.

Although to be fair, I didn't really know what that button was for for a looong time.

That's my laugh for the day! :D

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I once told a girl I was good in bed.

Haha.....psyche, bitch!!

That's my old avatar!! :eek: I was confused there for a second, and thought my old avatar popped up by accident (I usually look at avatars before glancing at the name). Or I thought it was a MacRumors system glitch. However, I've got to tell that the colour on your avatar was slightly better than mine.

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    That the tank of gas in the computer room was full of Argon to recharge the ethernet. The network problems we had been having were due to a leak in the cable someplace and since we would be changing facilities soon it made more sense to keep charging the argon than to look for the damaged cable. That one was a group effort.

The solo one is that spiders are drawn to loud noises. I was helping a my wife's friend to move. I had a bit of a headache at the time. Well there was a spider in the basement and then she jumped up on something and started screaming. I told her that spiders are drawn to loud noises. Her brain honestly and truly developed vapor lock. She started to scream and then stopped and started and stopped. I found out later that she spread the word about spiders to a number of people including her sister, the teacher, who was also spreading the word.

9. mpw Guest

That this link was safe for work.

It's actually a picture of my helmet!

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Genius, got to tell my sister that one.

11. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

A few years ago while at Uni I worked for Starbuck's Australia (the very first store down under) while there me and a few other Aussies did some very funny things to the mangers from the US.

1) We told them about Australian Bar Code of conduct and how you will never get served by a bartender in Australia without shouting out "it's my shout".

2) We told them that in rural Australia there's no post officers instead I told them how there are specially trained kangaroos that can read/sort and deliver mail. The funniest thing was when the Chairman of Starbucks (who is an Australian) came out to open the first store one of the Americans told this CEO about out postal system (THAT WAS FUNNY).

3) We also told them about a very good resturant at the Rocks called "Rock Salt" we also told them about getting a 10% discount there if you congratulate the head chef Neil Perry on getting the 3 stars. (Neil Perry has no sense of humor when he got 5 stars one year and 3 the next).

12. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I have one of my friends believing I can set away messages on my phone that automatically respond when she texts me. She sent me one final "good night" message after we finished talking that evening, and I replied with:

<AUTOMATED MESSAGE> Chris has gone to bed for the evening.

She wrote back saying how I'd have to show her how to do that on her phone...to which I replied:

<AUTOMATED MESSAGE> Chris has gone to bed for the evening.

13. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

I did that too, not the reading bit just telling a couple of Americans about kangaroos delivering the mail, (although now I think of it I suppose they'd have to read) anyhow... They thought that was interesting.

When I was living in London in my 20's my gf who was French and had been in England for a year or so, expressed her surprise that the chemist shops in London sell groceries. Apparently they only sell chemist stuff in chemists in France. I told her that the butcher shops were even stranger they took in electrical repairs and various other items. I played pool at the time and Jim the butcher one of the local players was also getting my pool tip replaced.

Of course she was thinking I must be pulling her leg. But I said that I had dropped of my cue to get repaired and she could come down with me to pick it up and see. She was still sceptical but when we went down by an amazing coincidence, and I don't know the reason but as we walked in the door Jim comes out bringing a portable TV and hands it to a customer who says thanks and leaves. I just said, 'see', then asked Jim for my cue. She was convinced.

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

This is more of a practical joke, but a friend of mine was on a plane and for a joke decided to pour his Coca-Cola into a vomit bag. He proceeded to then make noises for the next few minutes as though he was throwing up into the bag, loud enough that nearby passengers were quite aware of it. As he was finishing, the flight attendant came up to ask if he was ok, and needed anything, but he just said matter of factly, "What comes up must go back down" and drank the contents of the bag.

15. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

I was at the off leash with my dog one day and had a woman convinced that my dog's breed was "Toy Mastiff". No such thing, obviously. She's a Boxer/Bulldog cross.

16. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    A quick google suggests that a Pug is actually a Toy Mastiff according to the AKC.

Saw a family with a small child and a mastiff yesterday. Asked them if the let the child ride the dog and they said yes.

17. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I tell my students and my own children different stories on a daily basis. It's really fun with your own kids. Like, from Calvin and Hobbes, the sun sets in the desert...near New Mexico. That's why it's so hot in the desert.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

My cousin and I went out with some friends for a 21st. The birthday girl was pretty drunk, so my cousin called her phone. She was sitting right next to him, and facing towards the other end of the table. About 30 seconds into the conversation, he closed his phone and continued talking to her. They continued talking for a few minutes until he finally "hung up".
    We all had a good laugh at that. :D

19. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Kids are great.

My father-in-law raises sheep on his land and in the middle of the sheep fence was an old bathtub. I convinced at least one of my nieces that this was where the mama sheep bathed the babies....and I'm sure I'll convince my daughters as well once they are old enough.

20. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I claimed to be a pro bowler one time to a girl who I had known for several years and she believed me. She was the valedictorian of our class, by the way.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I used to tell my kids all kinds of things when they were little, to mess with their heads.

We'd drive past one of those large, dome-shaped buildings in which cities keep their rock salt, and when they asked, I told them it was a giant bee hive.

Funnest one, though, was just a few years ago when I infiltrated a George Bush rally by pretending to be a journalist. I got some good footage that I used to make fun of him.

22. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Why wouldn't she believe you? It sounds totally plausible to me. :confused:

It's like saying, "Ha, ha, this girl thought my dad had a heart attack because I told her he did!"

Now if you had said that you played major league baseball...

23. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

I am in the process of "transitioning" my job to a person off-shore so as a joke I sent document like this as a reading material on some of our products.

Poor person on the other side actually spent hours trying to understand it :D :)

24. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Back when I worked at the bakery, I would wear m my Google t-shirt. I convinced about a dozen people over a 4-day period that google flew me out on the weekends to decorate cakes for them. :D

25. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

So in the middle of introducing myself here I usually mention that I'm from Japan and whatnot.

This one time a girl asked me "Oh, so do you speak Chinese?", and while I usually would say something along the lines of "No, that's China, I'm from Japan.", this time I was in the mood to mess around.

So, I say "Yeah, I do... yeah, and it's so different here in the US, because back there we live in a straw houses... and here they don't even carry around any swords like they do back at home."

To this she replied, "Oh, wow, that must be such a culture shock for you!"

I was all smiles within. :D

irmongoose