Strange Time Capsule Behavior

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gojosechung, Nov 5, 2014.

1. gojosechung macrumors newbie

I've had something strange going on for the last couple of weeks and I believe it has to do with the Time Capsule.

Background
    The Time Capsule is connected to our Uverse router. My Wifi network is setup through the Time Capsule, with 2 Airport Expresses extending the network.

Everything has worked perfectly until about 10 days ago. The following has happened 3 different times now. I'll notice that Wifi has disconnected on all devices in the house. Looking at the list of available Wifi networks I see a new one has popped up that is named after my last name, say "Smith". My usual SSID is still listed but can't be connected to. I don't have any other devices creating a network, and certainly not one with my last name. I pull the plug on the Time Capsule to restart and everything comes back up normally. My usual SSID is working now and "Smith" is gone.

Any ideas what could be going on?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I see this issue with a couple of different situations. The first is if the U-Verse router is still routing and the Time Capsule is in Bridge Mode. Then with the Expresses in bridge mode you essentially can crash the TC. The solution is to bridge the U-Verse router and use the TC as the router. The other issue I have seen and this only applies to the older pizza box style TCs and Extremes is that they need to be downgraded to 7.6.1 in some situations.

3. gojosechung thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have the older pizza box Time Capsule running 7.6.4. I may give the 7.6.1 a try.

So you don't think some sort of a hack into the router is the culprit? That's what I'm most wary of

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I had an Extreme that was like that and 7.6.1 fixed it.