Strange Trackpad Activity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matthiessen, Sep 17, 2010.

1. matthiessen macrumors newbie

This problem started up yesterday out of the blue. What happens is that I sometimes cannot control the trackpad yet I can still use my wireless mouse. I have since disabled all unnecessary trackpad functions (multitouch etc.) and it has seemed to help. The strangest thing that it did last night was when it appeared to be erratically moving across my desktop creating new folders. Also, the most recent development is that the bottom third or so of my trackpad has ceased to respond to my touch. This trackpad seems to have a mind of its own! Please advise. This is the Summer 2009 MBP. Thanks

2. tpg macrumors regular

Sounds like a hardware issue to me - it's registering right & left clicks & moving randomly. I used to have a similar problem on an old pc laptop trackpad that used to get rather hot, and it would do funny things by itself!

My advice would be to take it in to the apple store genius bar, or phone up apple care if it's under warranty.

3. matthiessen thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I'll try the Genius Bar... Not sure how much this is going to cost me.

Not sure whether to buy applecare and go to the GB or just pay for the repair if it needs it.