Strange trackpad noise observation

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Skeletal-dæmon, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

This isn't so much a problem as something I have just noticed. Everyone in the house is asleep, and for once I don't have headphones on.

When I use two-finger scrolling on my BlackBook, there is a strange... almost purring noise from my machine. It's extremely quiet, and I can only pinpoint it to the kinda under-keyboard-towards-hinge area. It is loudest when I scroll on pages with a lot of dark/light alternation on the page, and quietest on plain light pages.

It really is quite odd. Am I making my Mac purr by scrolling through all my regular webcomics? :confused:

2. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

i'm going to take a wild guess and say...fan?

3. Skeletal-dæmon thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, SMC doesn't show any speed variation, and I don't think its a vibration at all, just this odd little 'prrrrrrrr' noise.

4. retroneo macrumors 6502a

It's the power supply making different sounds when there is different levels of load.

Scrolling uses a little more power and you'll sometimes hear the components vibrate and make different sounds.

There's an awesome article by and ex-intel worker who detailed it in depth. I'll see if I can find it.

5. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

that was my next guess. ;)

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That's crazy! :eek:

Nothing like that on my UMB thankfully, heh...