Strange trash contents could be spyware

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wom, Jul 6, 2008.

1. wom macrumors newbie

This all started a few days ago when I started my computer and Power Point started all by itself and I found "recovered files" in the trash consisting of a PowerPoint temp. doc ( that was empty) and a "Send Mail" file ( also empty). I trashed the lot writing it up as Microsoft striking again. The same thing happened the next day. On the third day, and since I never use PowerPoint I simply trashed PowerPoint. Lo and behold the wonders... the next start up had an Excel temp doc and the send mail doc both still empty. Into the trash with that lot and Excel too. The next start up was an Entourage temp doc and the famous "Send Mail". Trashed that lot too and Entourage. Today was the kicker. Now its a Dreamweaver doc and "send Mail. I have 10.5.2 on a PPC laptop. All virus checks show nothing. Macscan says its clean. Cursing it doesn't seem to work... so any one have an idea what this is all about and could it be a Mac virus / trojan/ spyware/ what ever?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

"Recovered Files" in the Trash are completely normal. However, I don't see how files for an app you haven't used could be generated, so that's odd.

I can, however, virtually guarantee that it isn't spyware.

3. wom thread starter macrumors newbie

Strange trash contents could be spyware

I agree that Recovered files are normal. They have been with us since the days of OS-7 but mine never had specific program names and the bit about "Send Mail" that's why I'm here to find out whats up. If it is something that shouldn't be, i.e. sending mail I do not originate, then its not a friendly animal and we all should know about it. If as was mentioned above it's just slopy Microflacid programing that would only seem to make sense if I was using those programs. Two of them I have never opened! Hay, better speak up now than wish I had later.