Strange unknown folder names

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ndriver182, Feb 20, 2011.

1. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

I was doing some organizing today and I discovered several random folders in the hard drive's main root directory. Anybody know what these are all about? Safe to delete? I found some have DLL's and others have additional folders inside them with random names as well.

[​IMG]

2. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Do you use Wine, Crossover, or any other Windows virtualization or emulation software?

I have had Wine create files like that before if it inappropriately writes to the Mac root directory rather than the Windows root directory in the Wine bundle.

Using "Get Info", who has ownership over the files?

3. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't use any virtualization software at this time.

I don't see where to find "ownership" of the files in the info screen, but I did see that these folders were created a long time ago. They were created in 2008 up to early 2010. I've had a few macs during that time and transfered the same system from one computer to another so I'm guessing that some of these folders could be from extremely old vmware files or who knows what other programs I was using a couple years ago.

4. munkery, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Sorry, at the bottom of the "Get Info" screen it will state: "username", wheel, everyone or system, wheel, everyone, or etc and beside each one will show read/write permission. Owner is first in list. Owner shows which user account was used to create the folder unless permissions were modified to prevent/allow access other than default.

If a "username" is the owner and the folders contain files with the extension .dll then I would suspect the folders were created by vmware. Some cross platform games will create those folders as well.