Strange usage and standby times

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ohla313, Apr 19, 2011.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Today something weird is going on. I charged my phone overnight like I always do and today I took it off the charger and haven't touched it since 3 hours ago. I check on the phone just now and its at 97% and showing 3hours 14 minutes usage and standby!

I checked to see if I had any apps running in the background, and there is nothing! Whats going on??

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

3. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I charged mine over night last night... it read 100% charged. As soon as I took it off the charger, it went down to 99%. Weird, yes... but it is what it is.

4. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

The issue is due to calibration of the battery. To calibrate the battery of the iPhone, first charge it to 100% and then use up all the battery till it gets depleted - don't worry if it automatically turns off, remember thats what we want. Then leave it like that for half an hour and plug the charger in and charge it fully to 100% (you may use your phone during this time). You now have calibrated the battery. Apple advises you to perform this procedure at least once a month to increase battery health and accuracy of displayed percentage.

If that does not work, restart your phone, and make sure the latest firmware update is installed.

5. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

thanks for the info! I just plugged it into the charger and waited til 100% and used it and now it doesn't do that anymore. I am running the latest OS and lately been having bad battery. like 3-4 hours use and I'm at 20-40%

Is there an official release from Apple regarding battery calibration?

6. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

The following regulations by Apple will recommend owners of iPhones to perform calibration at least once a month

http://www.apple.com/uk/batteries/iphone.html

Go to the bottom of the page where it says "Use iPhone Regularly" to see more info. This page also gives some useful tips to conserve battery life(span).