Strange vibrate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rossevans, Sep 21, 2016.

1. rossevans macrumors newbie

charging mt new iPhone 7 with the standard out of the box 5w charger, face down and flat. When I rub my finger across the back the device vibrates.

Any one else experience this?

Just tried my 6s and no issue.

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

WTF...

Are you sure it's the phone you're rubbing?

3. rossevans thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah 99% sure it's my phone.

It's very odd behaviour indeed

4. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

It's an electrical signal and is the same thing you would feel if you ever played with a "touch lamp". You know those brass lamps that you tap to turn on and off with your finger?

The phone/plug is not grounded so your acting like a ground. I don't have enough electrical knowledge to give you the right terminology but it's normal.

5. mconk macrumors 6502

mconk

Wow. I was literally about to create a new post about this. I'm feeling the same exact sensation when I go to plug in my 7 in a wooden stand, along side my Apple Watch. I just reached over to grab the phone lightly, and felt the most subtle vibration. I then took my finger and rubbed the back of the phone, and felt the same exact subtle vibrations you mentioned. It's so bizarre! For reference, I grabbed my 6s, and was able to reproduce the effect, although it seems to be much more dramatic on the 7. I found this gem of an article on the Apple Support Community which explains what's happening here in detail: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1022258?start=0&tstart=0

You can reproduce this very easily if you plug your phone in and ONLY hold it by the very tip of the lightning port with your thumb and index finger. Then, take your other hand and very gently rub the backside of the phone up and down. You'll feel the most bizarre subtle vibration, almost as if the electricity flowing through your body is turning the haptic feedback engine on. Also, if you put the tip of your ear up to the back of your phone as you do this, you can quite literally hear the electric current. What's strange, is that I never once noticed this with my 6s or any other Apple device. I only noticed it tonight, because I just got the 7 today and don't yet have a case for it. You can feel the vibration just by touching the back of the phone and sliding your finger up, while it's charging. At first I thought maybe I was getting interference from my Apple Watch which sits next to the iPhone dock. But from the article linked above, sound a like this is totally normal. Just REALLY bizarre!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2016 ---
    I'm really surprised more people haven't noticed this. I just grabbed my 6s again, and it's barely noticeable at all...yet, EXTREMELY noticeable with the 7. It's honestly almost unnerving...

6. DarthBradicus macrumors member

I don't know when or how I came to notice this (perhaps since the iPhone 5), but I always knew it was due to the electrical current. I just never think about it.