Strange/weird hobbies

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iSamurai, May 17, 2008.

1. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

So, I came across a few videos on youtube that people claim doing some hideous things hobby.

There's people burning, cutting and ripping clothes. Some even enjoy getting wet in them... Huh???

I won't judge it's complete nonsense until I've done it myself -- err, but I don't have that kind of cash to literally burn, bien sûr! :D But a pool party looks interesting (or is that some other therapy thing).

I loved throwing computer parts from a few storeys high or slamming it against the wall. My friends and I gathered a few ancient computer parts and started destroying them. Eventually we had to call it an end because you don't replace your computer every week, you know... does it recall SmashMyPS3 anyone?

These hobbies kinda deviates away from the "norm"... Do you have any hobbies that not everyone does? Some of my hobbies include football (soccer) and photography -- although I doubt these are weird lol :)

P.S. if you do decide to burn clothes the gas produced is toxic -- from synthetic fibres of course... just one of my scientific trivia.

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I share a hobby with a few people around here on MR, and that is collecting older computers. The older, the better. They fascinate me, because they give me a look into how people did their computing 15 or 20 years ago. They're unique, because Microsoft didn't have the monopoly it has today, so there were a much larger variety of OS's in those times. I like to open them and see how they were assembled, what components they used, etc.

I have 22 right now, and that number grows by on average, about 3 per year, mostly because it can be very expensive. :(

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

:eek:

I've a new and pricey hobby of sorts. :eek:

Obsession. Addiction. Life-purpose.

Whatever you wanna call it. ;)

LUSHbanners.png

4. bartelby macrumors Core

I'm a 36 year old guy and I love Blythe Dolls. Some people say that's a bit weird.

5. shecky Guest

shecky

6. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

I did that once for my Biology project. It was interesting growing them on agar plates (but I don't know where to get them), and I suggest you guys don't open the plate coz they make ppl cough&sneeze like crazy :)

7. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

8. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I like to mail my used toilet paper to the Premier of China. It doesn't cost that much really. I just laugh to think that there is someone in China smelling my poo.

9. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i collect coasters, hotel keys and any type of ticket with a passion.

i dont know why. i hope to do something with the hundreds upon hundreds that i have...one day.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Really? I grow those in my fridge.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I know who to sell my older computers to now! :)

At least I will know they will have a good home.

12. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm a bit of a map/roads nerd (as in like to look at maps and look at the history of roads), and i can spend hours reading up on the roadways and such (mostly american). i even bought a rand mcnally road atlas for 2008 because i personally need a paper map. gps is one tech item i can do without personally. i guess part of it was being on the road so much growing up.

13. mikeypizano macrumors member

:D I used to love fountain pens.

Cassie you would hate to see what I destroyed today. An old IBM 300XL!

14. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I used to collect the circuit boards from dead electronics.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Meanwhile, I have this ancient Pentium 4 3.4 GHz Windows PC sitting in my office, collecting dust. Poor old thing.....it only has a single core.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

See the tear in my eye. This almost made me cry. ;)

17. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

I like to sit im my room chewing my toe nails will that do.. :confused: oh and I pick peanuts out of my poo :eek: and many more......there not really a hobbies there more...well fetish i would say ;)

18. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I bet the Winter nights fly in .. :)

19. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Blech.. I'd call it an illness. :eek:

20. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Shot glasses... My name is Rhett and I am an alcoholic....

Is there really a reason to have over a 200 shot glasses.... I say yes and I have used them all!!!

Yeah shot glasses.... That is my weird obsession.

21. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I must admit to being a bit of a map nut myself, but recently bought a SatNav, best investment I've made for ages .. :cool:

22. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

[knows i am a freak] i loved that cheap/brown paper towel you got in elementary school. i would always wash it off after i used it, dried it in the hand drier, then put it in my pocket. i kept my collection all the way up to the second grade [15 now]

23. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I collect vintage U.S. Navy pea coats. I currently have 8 of them from WWII era up to early 70's. I usually get them from Ebay or from the local Army Navy store. People think I'm impractical for having so many coats, but when it comes to our hobbies people aren't all that practical anyway...

24. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Fallen road signs. I have about 15, and when they're clean and in pretty good condition, but away from where they should be (i.e. somehow not directly under a pole they fell from), I just take them home and clean them. One day I'll find a use. One day. It started with a 30mph maximum sign I saw near my old house.

25. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I like to collect body parts. I had a cyst removed from my ear a few years ago - I still have it in a jar :D