Strange White Spots in LCD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bricehulse, May 21, 2013.

1. bricehulse macrumors newbie

I have a few strange white spots in certain areas of the LCD on my late 2007 15-inch MacBook Pro. They are very apparent with light colors and almost invisible with dark colors, which makes me think that it's a problem with the backlight. Has anyone had this happen, or does anyone know any simple solution? I suspect that the only fix is to buy a new LCD, but maybe somebody knows.

Here are pictures of the display showing all white and all black.
    White (It is most obvious in the bottom right quarter of the display.)
    Black

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It's a problem with the LCD and is indicative of pressure being applied to the back of the LCD housing.

3. bricehulse thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks. Is the only fix to buy a new LCD? Also, is that a problem with this specific LCD model, or is that just a problem with LCDs in general?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not the LCD and its not a general issue for all MBPs, but how its attached to the lid. Back in the day apple had this problem with the G4 Powerbook and repaired it for free. I'm not sure why all of sudden this occurred on your computer being 6 years old. Clearly its out of warranty and I think its considered obsolete so apple won't even fix it. Better check with them to be sure however.