Strange Wi-Fi problem with iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Sehnsucht, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

I've been unable to connect to my school's open Wi-Fi network for a couple of weeks now. Well, to clarify: my iPod touch will appear to connect to the network and display the Wi-Fi icon, but I'll get an "unable to connect" error message when opening Safari, Mail, App Store or any other internet-linked app. It connects just fine to other networks, which at first made me think that it was obviously the school's Wi-Fi that was the problem. However, I mentioned this to a teacher and several staffers, and they looked at me funny and pulled out their iPhones, which connected to the "Guest" network just fine. One had a 2G and two others had 3Gs, and all devices including my iPod touch have the latest 2.2.1 software update. We were all standing pretty much in the same place. This is a bit weird...any ideas?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'd wonder what the security setup for the network is.

3. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

yea, it sounds like they're blocking packets or something

4. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

There doesn't appear to be any. No WEP, no WPA, no WPA2, nothin'. It actually kicked me off one day while I was busy browsing the App Store, and I haven't been able to connect since. :(

5. Zyniker macrumors 6502

So...any chance you seriously irritated an admin? ;)

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Yeah, it sounds like an admin found your device connected and removed it's access privileges.

7. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

For me, no...but there have been other students who figured out how to disable our computers' monitoring software so the teachers couldn't see what they were doing on the internet. Maybe the administrators are starting to see iPod touches as loopholes through which pr0nz can be obtained. :D *Sighhhh* guess I'll have to buy a new iPod touch with a new MAC address every day. :( :cool: