Strange wireless connectivity problem on new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bravecat, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Bravecat macrumors newbie

I have a very strange problem regarding wireless connectivity on my new 2.53 GHz mac book pro and my airport extreme router.

To cut a long story short, each time I start after shutting down it takes ages to start after logging in (spinning beach ball - incomplete menu bar). It connects to the network but very, very slooow. Eventually I get no data throughput, but still says connected. I have a mac mini and 2 pc’s running on my router with no ill effects.

Even more bazar, wireless connection is fine when I connect to a linsys wrt54g router. Only seams to effect apple extreme router, had same issue in apple store.

Now if I delete the system preference com.apple.airport.preferences.plist from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and restart my mac book, the network work fine, until I restart with the airport card left switched on, I'm back to the problem above. However if I turn off the network card before shutting down, then turn back on after logging in, everything is fine. Sleep mode also fine.

I have talked for hours with apple techs, visited the apple store, no one can explain what’s going on.

If this is a software issue, I can live with it (I hoped that update AirPort Extreme Update 2008-004 would fix things but did not). But if its a hardware issue, I need to exchange.

Has anyone else got the same issue? Can anyone suggest a fix?

Have done a erase and install, and tries lots of other suggested fixes posted on line after AirPort Extreme Update 2008-003 debacle.

Thanks in advance....

2. Bravecat thread starter macrumors newbie

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

4. Bravecat thread starter macrumors newbie

Mmmm... I'm wondering the same thing, but most of the symptoms seem to point to it being software.

Is nobody else suffering the same thing, with a combination of AirPort Extreme and New Mac Book Pro?

Thanks

5. Bravecat thread starter macrumors newbie

OK so i think i solved this issue. Turns out i installed the AirPort Disc Utility that cam with my Airport Extreme router...

I uninstalled it, and now my network seams to work the way it should. finger crossed.

Anyhow anyone with a similar issue, uninstall the disc utility. and don't install it in the first place...

6. south8212 macrumors 6502

didnt read deep into your thread but i just ran software update and there was an airport card update, just letting you know