Strange wireless connectivity problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pipajungle, Jan 1, 2009.

1. pipajungle macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I am a total newbie in MAC and recently bought a Mac so that I can experience the new OS. I have been a PC guy so.... I kinda know in and out of a PC.
    I have a wireless router 802.11b (Belkin wireless cable/DSL router F5D6231-4
    ) which has a WEP encription. The wireless connection works fine with my PC laptop wireless card. When I try to connect my MacBook with the wireless router, it asks me for a key (as it is encripted). I provide the exact same key (password) as I provided to my PC laptop .....but MacBook says that its an "invalid" key. Can anybody help me to get rid of this problem? I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot!
    PipaJungle

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Mac's really like to use the WAP encryption. However, I have my wireless set to a WEP-128 bit and that seems to work just fine. I think I tried to do a WEP-40 bit but that didn't work out to well.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Mac*

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Kinda figured this was coming... lol :D

5. pipajungle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for ur reply. Can you please elaborate how do i deal with this problem?

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

No, I don't use Belkin and don't know what they do as far as security goes. sorry..

7. pipajungle thread starter macrumors newbie

Anybody ...please help?...okay I will Mac instead of MAC from now onwards. thanks.

8. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I had trouble a while back with 40 bit keys as well. For a while I had a router that wouldn't deal with my Mac and I ended up using:

- SSID broadcast off
    - MAC address filtering to limit the devices to "known" (this is still not secure for the record)

What you could do is:
    1) Take off all security (hold your flames)
    - This will allow you to get the computer to connect and make sure that it is working (you may have already proven this)
    2) Setup to WEP-128
    - Using the ASCII code (13 chars) -- put in a reasonable secure code
    OR
    - Setup WAP

Eventually I got the ActionTec from FIOS and that seems to work well in general.

You might also check that your routers firmware is up to date.

9. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

I think you could change your security by going to the router's configuration page...Which has a special website on Belkin? I'm not sure but if you could go to the router's page then you can probably select which security you want to have...I never have a Belkin router before but I'm sure all router should have a special page that you could change it's settings :). Hope that helps.

10. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Well, I've been having a bit of trouble with WPA encrypted router today and yesterday, OSX keeps telling me I have an invalid password when I don't. I can get it to intermittently work by deleting the entries in the Keychain and System Prefs, but after a wake from sleep or reboot I encounter the same problems.

Only started with 10.5.6 (and only yesterday too). I did install the DFU kext hack to get my iPhone to work in DFU mode, but that is an IOUSB hack, so i'm not sure if that would have done any damage.

Any advice?