Strange Word behavior.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zegna, May 10, 2007.

1. Zegna macrumors member

Yesterday night I saved a word file in a folder. Now, not two minutes ago when I'm looking for the file in the folder, the file is not there.

So I thought, easy, probably I misplaced the file. So I typed an unusual word that I'm sure is on the file onto the Spotlight search bar, and it returned zero results!

So I open Word and go to the recently opened file list, and so I clicked on this file I'm looking for, and voila! The file opened without a problem along with the unusual word. I then checked the properties of the file, and apparently it shows that I did not misplace the file.

Any ideas of what might have happened?

2. MacKitten macrumors newbie

I have had the same problem. Each time a word file is created, it creates temp folders and dumps them all over machine (generally in microsoft user data) it also creates word work files which aid in auto saves. Its seems that for some reason, this process hasnt fully completed to produce the finished product (normal doc) but instead has stated as a temp file.
    hope this makes some sort of sense?

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, are you sure about where it's located? Open Word and open the doc, then hold the Cmd key and click on the document icon next to the name of the file in the title bar of the document's window. (That is, the icon that's to the right of the three little colored balls and to the left of the file title).

This will show you the path where the file is saved. Once Word has closed the file, it should clean up any temp file kinds of issues quickly... when Word is not running, the file should not be disappeared.

4. Zegna thread starter macrumors member

Yes, MacKitten, it makes perfect sense. I never thought of the possibility of Temp files on Office.

Now, upon more careful file-path reading on the Properties, and also the Cmd+Icon visual file-path (thanks to Mkrishnan!), I found out that I did misplace the file.. But strangely enough, now the unusual word appears on Spotlight!

Anyway, all is well now thanks to you two. :)