Strange yellow discoloration on screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Andrew07, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Andrew07 macrumors 6502

Booted up my Macbook Pro this morning and I noticed this strange yellow-speckled discoloration at the top of my desktop screen. I'll attach a screenshot--its in the center of the screen, right below the top menu bar. What is this? Ran a complete cycle of Onyx, but it's still there.

Attached Files:

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

did you try switching the desktop pic and seen if it was still there?

3. Andrew07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, it's still present after switching the desktop background. Strange :confused:

4. Andrew07 thread starter macrumors 6502

seems to be getting worse...moving windows and dragging the mouse across the screen creates more of them.

Attached Files:

5. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

That's really weird. I don't think that it is a hardware issue, because if it was a hardware issue, I don't think that we would be able to see it on the screenshots?

Interesting, I hope you have AppleCare. :D

6. sawmaster macrumors regular

yeah it is pretty wierd.... did u try making a new account? just to see if software is doing it, just to be wierd.

7. Andrew07 thread starter macrumors 6502

ack, no, I dont have Applecare at the moment...

I tried creating a new user account, but problem persisted. Occurs with folders as well as web browsers. Running Onyx didn't help either.

8. Andrew07 thread starter macrumors 6502

restarted and its back to only being on the top, without following dragged folders and such. very strange... Sorry for so many screen shots, but I've attached another of the yellow part when pressing F11

Attached Files:

9. ToastyX macrumors regular

That looks like bad video RAM to me. Try booting from a Mac OS X install disc and see if the problem happens there. If so, it's definitely hardware.

10. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Maybe try an archive and install at this point. Before that you could try running the diagnostics from the install discs that came with your mac too.