Strangeness in Mav 10.9.5

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by EithneO, Jan 6, 2015.

1. EithneO macrumors newbie

Hello folks

So I'm just trying to work out whats going on with the OS. To cut a very long story short I'm running a SSD of 250GB. A Apple Service Engineer (yeah right!) moved the OS and Apps from the old 2TB WD disk onto this SSD. To be honest I gave it to them to do it so I wouldn't have any issues - I've had so many! Most I've been able to fix myself but 2 are bugging me! They are not major but I'd like to know whats causing them.

So the niggles are:

1) The Grey Question Mark - yes I've got it for iCal. Now if it was a third party software then yes ok I understand the path would have changed. But an actual part of the OS?

Yesterday I logged off, on today and low and behold my Filezilla is now a question mark too - but it was fine yesterday? It's not in the App folder but when I search for it in spotlight it says it IS in the App folder - hope your as confused as me! Disappearing Apps is a bit odd like!

Yes I know I can just remove the question marks from the dock and put in the new shortcut BUT (this is the issue) when I restart it goes back to what it was. So two grey question marks instead of the icons....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2) The screensaver will default to what it is now - even if I change it today to something else it will revert to the old one.

I think these two things are directly related, but I cannot find any help on it anywhere. When I asked The Service Engineer (HAA!!:mad:) he said to keep it on...well that's not feasible is it?

Comp specs: early 2009 mac pro, 2.26 Quad Core, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2048 MB, Mavericks 10.9.5. 250SSD Startup Disk.

Thanks! Any ideas much appreciated! I'd done what The Google has suggested at this stage re the dock but I think it may be the registry?

E :eek:

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

OSx does not have a registry - that is a Windows pain.

3. alex0002 macrumors 6502

The last time I had a question mark for an application was when Firefox had the wrong protections. What I mean is that this directory had wrong protections:

/Applications/Firefox.app

Perhaps some procedure was not carried out correctly when copying the application and the same is true for some of those directories in your system.

You might need to compare against a known good Mac where all the applications are working correctly.
    e.g. checking in the Terminal for the Calender app:

Code:
    $ ls -ld /Applications/Calendar.app
    drwxr-xr-x+ 3 root  wheel  102 18 Mar  2014 /Applications/Calendar.app

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Better late then never...

I've found I can solve most file system issues by downloading and re-installing the latest Combo Update.
    In your case this would be the OS X 10.5 Combo.

Give it a try, it can't hurt.

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You realize this thread is about OS X 10.9.5, not 10.5 :p