Strangeness with my ip4. Power cycling?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bunnicula, Aug 6, 2010.

1. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Okay... last night, I stuck my ip4 in my purse, clutched it tightly to my chest, and made a mad dash to the door (there was a torrential downpour, and a river practically running through my front yard).

I got inside, took out my phone and it was:

1) totally dry
    2) totally normal looking
    3) off

Now, number 3 confused me, as it was on when I put it in my purse.

After pressing the home and power keys a few times, it finally came back on, but it started at the apple screen, just as if it'd been power cycled.

So, I wrote it off to having gripped my bag too tightly and perhaps having pushed something else in there up against the power button, causing it to power off.

Today, I got into my car. It's sunny outside. I plugged my ip4 into my car charger, looked down at it to check the time, and it was... off.

Only, this time, it was already turning itself back on (it was on the apple screen).

WTH?

I have been getting the ever popular "this accessory isn't supported by this iphone" message from my car charger (and my Sony iPhone clock). I started getting that message from my 3GS once I had upgrade it to iOS4. Why the **** do they always do something wonky with a new OS that seems to make it think that all chargers (except new ones) are evil? I blame the charger people.

Okay... that was kind of an aside.

What say you, forumites?

What is causing this weird crap?

2. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Oh... almost forgot... I have no antenna issues in my area. The phone is otherwise peachy.

Also, I bought it at Best Buy, and wouldn't you know they're out of them (this is my state's tax free weekend, so I figure people are out spending like mad).

I cannot return it just yet. Hopefully, this is an isolated incident, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues.

3. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I'm sorry, I read the whole post and the only word I saw was "chest." :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, the only person that's going to know if you have a problem is you. If it never happens again, then you know you somehow freakishly power cycled it. If it's a continuous problem then it looks like you have your answer.

4. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I guess I was smart not to post that cleavage shot that demonstrated the way I was clutching it, then.

;)

I've had it happen twice.

If it happens again, I'm gonna swap the phone out.

I've had so many iphones, I'm used to weirdness.

I was just wondering if anyone else had had something strange like this happening regularly with an ip4.

5. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Oh no, please feel free to post any picture that you need. It would uh... help us determine the exact root of the issue at hand.

Or my PM box is just a wink and a click away! :D

6. jenga1891 macrumors newbie

^what a loser

Anyways...check the two water sensors (the one in headphone jack and one in dock connector) and see if they were tripped. Even a drop of water can trip them. If they are still nice and white and the problem continues take it into the store and see what the mac genius has to say about it.

7. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Thanks, jenga.

I got a call a few minutes ago from the folks over at Best Buy. They're going to swap out my ip4. I figure I might as well. I dunno if there was damage, but the last thing I want is for the damned thing to stop working. :)

8. psherman42walla macrumors member

Yours is not the only one. Both mine and my roomate's iP4 does this. It will shut off at random. Our phones are only about 2 weeks old, and it did not have this issue when we first got it. It's actually a really anoying problem because if you were to use it as an alarm and it decides to shut off in the middle of the night... Then :mad:

9. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Return'em?

That was my first inclination when it happened the 2nd time.

I had to go through about 4 of the 1st gen iPhone before I got one that worked right. They'd work okay for awhile, then some weird issue would crop up. I never had such problems with my 3G or my 3GS, but they weren't really radical new designs.

This iPhone 4 is quite a departure from the previous models, so it's bound to be chock full of weird until they stabilize the design.

That's one of those "early adopters suffer" sorta things.

Maybe phone number 2 will be the charm. We shall see. :)