Strangeness with Speednet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rustyosaurus, Oct 26, 2011.

1. rustyosaurus macrumors regular

So I just switched from Sprint to ATT on Tuesday because I was tired of the low data speeds. I consistently got from .2 to .5 mbps. One time I did get over 1 mbps. I know that is not as bad as many people are reporting but I thought I could do much better on ATT.

Well . . . now I can't connect at all in my house. Or really within a 7 block radius of my house even though on the ATT coverage map I am in the Best area.

I've been checking Speedtest in other parts of town and I've gotten 1 - 3.5 mbps for the most part, which is great.

I don't understand why my data sucks so much around my house. And here is my real question. When I start Speedtest it says looking for a server, but it always defaults to a server in CA (I'm in Kansas City, MO). I have to manually go in and find a server closer to me. I've never had this happen to me before I don't think.

I'm wondering if something is wrong with the network around me.

Any thoughts?

2. gtmac macrumors 6502a

3. rustyosaurus thread starter macrumors regular

i chatted with ATT about this today and she was the best rep I've ever had. She didn't see anything wrong with my area but said to give it a day or two and if it wasn't fixed she would file some kind of report or whatever. She is following up with me on Friday.

Hope it gets better!

4. phearx macrumors regular

Are you using location services for speedtest.net? If not, that may be the reason it isn't finding a tower in your area. Another suggestion would be to factory reset your iphone, but this is just off the top of my head.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Or you can call AT&T and complain about the reception in your house. Maybe they'll hook you up with a Microcell, which essentially is an antenna for inside your house that uses your own internet connection to route your cell calls.

6. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

I'm getting 5.5-6Mb/s on my 3GS here in the UK. 3.5 isn't great.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It is on this side of the pond...

8. zmulleni macrumors regular

zmulleni

Yea I guarantee AT&T would love to only have a coverage area equivalent to just the eastern seaboard stateside. You're comparing apples to oranges my friend. Much more land mass to cover when you call yourself a nationwide carrier over here.

9. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

I live in KC as well. And I have an Evo (personal) and Atrix (work). Even though AT&T always performs higher on Speedtest -- 1mb - 2mb -- it lags so horribly when browsing and downloading apps. I honestly cannot stand my work phone. Maybe it is the phone; maybe it is at&t. My evo with the slower speeds, much slower since iPhone release, is consistent and does everything I ask. Also, I rarely have 4g hooked up cause even thought it is faster, I do not see much of a difference when just browsing; downloading, though, I always flip it on. Come January, I'm hoping to get on a SWAC plan with the iPhone. Hopefully by then, Sprint has improved their network, but if not, I am happy the way it stands.

10. rustyosaurus thread starter macrumors regular

it's hard for me to know what will be the best in the long run. i think the recent network issues with sprint are going to take awhile to iron out. it's not just slow data speeds, it's dropped calls, can't connect to the network when trying to make a call, can't send txt messages at certain times. i don't seem them being able to just flip a switch and make these things go away.

that is mostly why i switched to ATT. and the fact that it was exactly the same amount of money each month.

i dunno though - i may switch back after 14 days - i'll just have to see how it goes.

i did expect better speeds for ATT being in a 'best' area.