Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix has released the soundtracks for both its popular sci-fi series Stranger Things, and its new musical drama The Get Down, exclusively on iTunes and Apple Music. There are 36 total songs rounding out the "Volume 1" soundtrack for Stranger Things, and on August 19 a "Volume 2" is expected to launch on Apple's music services as well, with both volumes getting physical CD treatments on September 16 and September 23, respectively (via Consequence of Sound).

Netflix-Soundtracks.jpg

The music from the Stranger Things soundtrack was created by Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein, members of an Austin-based band called Survive. The two musicians helped craft the feel of the show's score by balancing "a classic tone," without going so far as to make it "'80s cheese."
"We discussed having a classic tone and feel to the music for the show but being reserved enough that it wasn't '80s cheese, while offering a refreshing quality so that felt modern," Stein said in a press release. "This was one of the qualities that drew them to our music in the first place. Having a familiarity with classic synths worked, but with an overall forward thinking approach."
Netflix has yet to say when or if the two volume soundtrack will hit other streaming platforms. Apple Music has netted plenty of exclusives over the past few months, but the TV soundtrack for Stranger Things marks an interesting new addition of content for the service's users. Earlier in the week, artist Kyle Lambert detailed his process of creating the poster art for Stranger Things, which involved the use of an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil.

The Get Down's soundtrack is one "Deluxe Version," adding up to 24 total songs from the new series. Artists on the album include Christina Aguilera, Leon Bridges, and Janelle Monáe, who contribute to the "musical panorama of New York City from the '70s to the '10s." Apple Music is even curating playlists for songs from each episode of the show, and has so far debuted collections for the first two episodes, each with about a dozen tracks.

The Get Down (Original Soundtrack from the Netflix Original Series) can be streamed on Apple Music or purchased for $13.99 on the iTunes store. [Direct Link]

Stranger Things, Volume 1 (A Netflix Original Soundtrack) can also be listened to on Apple's streaming music service, in addition to being available for purchase on iTunes for $9.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Stranger Things' and 'The Get Down' Albums Debut Exclusively on Apple Music

Villarrealadrian

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2016

Netflix has released the soundtracks for both its popular sci-fi series Stranger Things, and its new musical drama The Get Down, exclusively on iTunes and Apple Music. There are 36 total songs rounding out the "Volume 1" soundtrack for Stranger Things, and on August 19 a "Volume 2" is expected to launch on Apple's music services as well, with both volumes getting physical CD treatments on September 16 and September 23, respectively (via Consequence of Sound).

Netflix-Soundtracks.jpg

The music from the Stranger Things soundtrack was created by Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein, members of an Austin-based band called Survive. The two musicians helped craft the feel of the show's score by balancing "a classic tone," without going so far as to make it "'80s cheese."
Netflix has yet to say when or if the two volume soundtrack will hit other streaming platforms. Apple Music has netted plenty of exclusives over the past few months, but the TV soundtrack for Stranger Things marks an interesting new addition of content for the service's users. Earlier in the week, artist Kyle Lambert detailed his process of creating the poster art for Stranger Things, which involved the use of an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil.

The Get Down's soundtrack is one "Deluxe Version," adding up to 24 total songs from the new series. Artists on the album include Christina Aguilera, Leon Bridges, and Janelle Monáe, who contribute to the "musical panorama of New York City from the '70s to the '10s." Apple Music is even curating playlists for songs from each episode of the show, and has so far debuted collections for the first two episodes, each with about a dozen tracks.

The Get Down (Original Soundtrack from the Netflix Original Series) can be streamed on Apple Music or purchased for $13.99 on the iTunes store. [Direct Link]

Stranger Things, Volume 1 (A Netflix Original Soundtrack) can also be listened to on Apple's streaming music service, in addition to being available for purchase on iTunes for $9.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Stranger Things' and 'The Get Down' Albums Debut Exclusively on Apple Music

I don't understand why artists agree on limiting their market Going for exclusivities

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So where did the 320kbps torrent come from? That's the one I have, surely it must be out on CD too?

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
Exclusivity is not a way forward, while developing a service that is genuinely better than competition is. Otherwise they will keep on limiting the artist/performer outreach & encourage piracy.

But what about Netflix? Is Netflix evil because it too has exclusives? Subscribers to Amazon Prime can't watch Stranger Things or The Get Down. Where's the outrage?

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
I support Spotify because they don't participate in this "exclusive" game which is very annoying for customers.

Yeah, you bet Spotify doesn't have exclusives because it's "better for the consumer", and "better for the industry"...

Apple Music is proving to be superior to Spotify in multiple ways:

1. I can have all the music I want, not limited to any library the provider, I can import any MP3's to iTunes, and they get completely uploaded to their servers, I can stream them and download them in full quality. I can have all the music, even those who aren't selling their music, or not selling through mainstream channels.

2. Beats 1 radio, and its shows. Just listened to a world premiere track on deadmau5 program. Can't get this anywhere.

3. Following the right people on Connect, can get all the relevant releases right now. Also, Found playlists are so much better, and "Radio" stations are actually usable, and don't throw you trash nobody wants like Google and Spotify.

Yet haters still have to come with "excuses", and make up stories like "Apple Music is so confusing", "exclusives is bad for the industry", "it deleted all my songs, totally not making this thing up", "paying artists is bad", "not having a service where you get all the music, while paying an extremely small amount to artists is good".

Most time people are on Spotify because:

1. Zero rating with their carrier

2. Using a crack for IAP's on Android/Jailbroken iOS or directly cracked App that removes Ads

3. Using that $0.99/3 month trial thing over and over again (sign up, use 3 months, delete account, make another account, can even use the same credit card number). Spotify clearly allows for this, to boost their numbers.

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
AppleMusic may be getting exclusives driven by executive dealings but it's losing the cultural war once owned by iTunes. When the President released his POTUS summer playlists, it was on Spotify. When you get in an Uber, it links to your Spotify account and you can control the music. Countless bluetooth speakers come with Spotify built in. I can only think of Sonos that has AppleMusic... and Spotify.
Spotify is solidifying itself as the synonym for music streaming. The Xerox/Kleenex of music streaming. I think that Eddie Cue is failing at this, he's failing at making the deals that position AppleMusic as culturally significant and that makes it ubiquitous. I say that as someone who uses AppleMusic exclusively. I often feel left out. That's not how you gain market share.

Last edited:

v0lume4

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
As many "exclusives" as Apple Music keeps getting, you have to wonder if they can even break a profit against the royalties they're paying. It seems like their only selling point is exclusives. How about some game-changing features instead?
[doublepost=1471119221][/doublepost]
AppleMusic may be getting exclusives driven by executive dealings but it's losing the cultural war once owned by iTunes. When the President released his POTUS summer playlists, it was on Spotify. When you get in an Uber, it links to your Spotify account and you can control the music. Spotify is solidifying itself as the synonym for music streaming. I think that Eddie Cue is failing at this, and I use AppleMusic exclusively. I often feel left out. That's not how you gain market share.
Ditto for Starbucks. From their app, you can listen to the playlists that they play in their stores. I wish I could name some more examples off the top of my head, but I cannot recall.

You are right. Spotify is solidifying theirselves as THE streaming music platform to be on. And frankly they are the biggest. Sometimes the phrase "who's first wins" is true.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
As many "exclusives" as Apple Music keeps getting, you have to wonder if they can even break a profit against the royalties they're paying. It seems like their only selling point is exclusives. How about some game-changing features instead?
[doublepost=1471119221][/doublepost]
Ditto for Starbucks. From their app, you can listen to the playlists that they play in their stores. I wish I could name some more examples off the top of my head, but I cannot recall.

You are right. Spotify is solidifying theirselves as THE streaming music platform to be on. And frankly they are the biggest. Sometimes the phrase "who's first wins" is true.

That too. I knew I was leaving an important one out. I went into Starbucks and noticed that you could find the currently playing music ... on Spotify. Then I saw on Twitter that President Obama had released his POTUS Summer Playlist... on Spotify. It looked like a great playlist, so I had to go build it manually on AppleMusic. But you get the sense that Apple is losing that battle and it has very limited time to change the tide if it's not too late already.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
So where did the 320kbps torrent come from? That's the one I have, surely it must be out on CD too?
Transcode from the iTunes. People do it all the time.
[doublepost=1471120738][/doublepost]
I don't understand why artists agree on limiting their market Going for exclusivities
They get a lump sum for the exclusivity, which may be worth it.
[doublepost=1471120844][/doublepost]
I support Spotify because they don't participate in this "exclusive" game which is very annoying for customers.
They don't participate because they're broke as hell. They can't afford the exclusives; they're already in the red.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Yeah, you bet Spotify doesn't have exclusives because it's "better for the consumer", and "better for the industry"...

Apple Music is proving to be superior to Spotify in multiple ways:

1. I can have all the music I want, not limited to any library, I can import any MP3's to iTunes, and they get completely uploaded to their servers, I can stream them and download them in full quality.

2. Beats 1 radio, and its shows. Just listened to a world premiere track on deadmau5 program. Can't get this anywhere.

3. Following the right people on Connect, can get all the relevant releases right now. Found playlists are so much better, and "Radio" stations are actually usable, and don't throw you trash nobody wants like Google and Spotify.

Yet haters still have to come with "excuses", and make up stories like "Apple Music is so confusing", "exclusives is bad for the industry", "it deleted all my songs, totally not making this thing up", "paying artists is bad", "not having a service where you get all the music, while paying an extremely small amount to artists is good".

Most time people are on Spotify because:

1. Zero rating with their carrier

2. Using a crack for IAP's or directly for Ads

3. Using that $0.99/3 month trial thing over and over again (sign up, use 3 months, delete account, make another account, can even use the same credit card number). Spotify clearly allows for this, to boost their numbers.

Well that is good for you. But that just you.

For me, I don't give a crap about Beats 1 radio, it is terrible. And Apple Music'a social network thing is other "Ping" thing. It offers nothing better. Most artist I follow have nothing in their connection.

Also your claims:

Zero rating with their carrier

2. Using a crack for IAP's or directly for Ads

You are providing no proof of your claim. So I put those claim as BS.

Also what is wrong with free streaming with ad? I don't mind about ad, but I won't pay.

I hate exclusive thing. It is inviting me to pirate their work. I am sorry, if you do exclusive thing, don't blame me on pirating your work. I will not subscribe to Apple Music just for one track nor I will buy from iTunes. If it not on Google Play Music, then I won't buy.

Reactions: 0098386

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Just finished stranger things. Loved the show and the music. So this is more exciting news than what Apple has been able to make for quite some time :D

Reactions: Regbial and Ghost31

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Still have a few months from Google Play Music. Going to torrent those albums and put in my library till they're available.

Pakaku

macrumors 68030
Aug 29, 2009
Stranger Things is the kind of show Apple should be making and investing in. Instead we get well known app developer Gwenyth Paltrow hosting Planet of the Apps.
Everyone seems to praise Apple's advertisements, so Apple is just continuing to do what they know best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.