Strangers found my Ipad and Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pralav, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Pralav macrumors newbie

On a recent vacation trip I lost my Ipad (left it in the Airplane mag pouch) and on the next day lost my Iphone (slipped from my pocket and fell in my Hertz rental Car)

I am normally a careful person and have never lost my mobile gadgets before. Apparently keeping track of family people in the hectic vacation and tracking the mobile gadgets proved too much for me.

Mobileme to the rescue. Since I have mobileme, I thought, I can easily track, locate, lock and send a message to anyone who finds it. But alas , that was not the case.

My Ipad is wifi only. So I couldn't locate it in mobile me as It never got connected to any internet in the next couple of days that I was desperately trying to locate. My airlines was helpless in locating and the cleaning crew got back saying there was no Ipad in my seat. But two days later I got a call from a person who had sat in my seat for the next leg of the flight. He found my Ipad, took my contact info from it and called me !! After heartfelt gratitude I arranged for my Ipad to get shipped to my address. The technology didn't help. Just plain old kindness from a stranger that got my Ipad back.

My Iphone is Iphone4. You would expect atleast my iphone will show up in my findmyiphone app. Nope. My Iphone had lost charge and so it didn't show up. Not even the last place before it went out of charge. So I couldn't locate my Iphone either. I had sent an email ( yes an email !) to Hertz lost and found as I could never get them on phone. Lo and behold ! One week later an Hertz agent calls responding to my email. They have my Iphone !! Again, Just plain old kindness that got by Iphone and not the locator technology.

I got both my Iphone and Ipad back . This is a miracle for me. My vacation reached anxiety peak as I kept loosing my expensive mobile gadgets. Though I can't have photos to fondly remember the random act of kindness by strangers, they will be part of my sweet memories of a, NOW, great vacation.

2. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

3. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

4. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Curious but did you give anything to the people who found it? I lost my iPhone 4 before and gave the guy who found it $75 and bought him lunch. He was very appreciative.

5. -y0- macrumors 6502

-y0-

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Holy **** the world ISN'T 99% Evil :p :D Haha that's just awesome glad you got your stuff back :):apple:

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

May I suggest you be more careful with your things, you probably wont be as lucky next time

8. schaffinosx macrumors member

That's extraordinary. Technology can never beat invaluable human kindness.

9. Hamoodi macrumors member

Wow! That's awesome! If I EVER lost any of my electronics, iPod, iPhone, 3DS, etc. I would probably have a heart attack. I would of been flipping out in your situation :rolleyes: ! Good for you though!

10. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

It is. OP was just lucky he ran into the remaining 1%. :D

Reminds me of the time my friend lost her bag in a fast-food outlet. Turned her back just for a moment, bag got snatched, lost her wallet (cash+personal identification), car keys, laptop, thumbdrive (with all her uni assignments inside), iphone, and misc stuff.

Think she almost died from the shock. Never got them back.:(

11. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You are so so so lucky. I would have bought both people a very nice lunch.

12. The Game 161 macrumors G4

The Game 161

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

This really proves that the recovery software is not effective and that luck has a better chance.

14. spiralynth macrumors regular

15. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

That is amazing. Where I live at, I would have just been out of the money I spent on the electronics. I live in college apartments with my wife, we will be glad tO buy a house this coming year. Our neighbor had her iPod touch case stolen!

16. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

17. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

Lucky man, hopefully those strangers get to be treated very well someday too

18. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.
    Tennessee Williams

19. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I did the same for a person who sat next to me at the movies once. He left his 3GS two seats to my left and left, I got up and saw it. I picked it up and was going to give the usher so they could keep it until he returned. When I got out of the room, I saw the man and went straight to him and said "This 3GS is yours right?" and he responded "Yes! Thank you so much!".

Didn't get any money reward nor was I expecting it. Only reason I gave him his iPhone back was thinking that if that was me, I would appreciate if someone would be kind enough to give me my phone back :)