Strangest Issue Ever...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Clazgar, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Clazgar macrumors newbie

Alright guys, I have a nice puzzle for you. Lets see if we can sort this out.
    DISCLAMER: I have a fair amount of iPhone experience so don't tell me to restore it or try using a different cable or reinstall iTunes. Way ahead of you ;).

Anyways, my iPhone decided it was a good time to restart the other day and it got stuck in DFU. So hours of manual restarting just to see the boot fail it eventually booted successfully. And about 5 minutes later... gone. I got home and it took me 5 hours and a lot of tinkering around with iREB and TinyUmbrella to finally get a successful restore. I thought all my problems were gone and blew a sigh of relief. Then....... graphical glitches, and finally a crash back into DFU. Lovely. Its been off an on, i've restored 3 times now and i have no idea what to think. Every once in a while I get graphical glitches in the pictures below and then the phone will crash and get stuck in DFU for an hour or two. Tell me what you think, cuz honestly i've never seen anything like this ever before and I don't know what to think.

Crash while in iOS :
    http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/vv214/clazgar/?action=view&current=Photoon2011-04-02at1728.jpg

Crash while attempting a restore:
    http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/vv214/clazgar/?action=view&current=IMG00038-20110331-1331.jpg

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

How many times have you jailbroken your iPhone?
    What kind of iPhone is it?
    What's the bootrom version?

3. Clazgar thread starter macrumors newbie

It was jailbroken with greenpois0n before on 4.2.1. Its currently running 4.3.1 clean from apple.
    Its an iPhone4.
    Bootrom is iBoot-574.4

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Let me guess, you downloaded the IPSW from Apple (which should be contained in a ZIP format), put your iPhone 4 into DFU, and restored. Am I right?
    After restoring from greenpois0n, did you set your phone up as a new device first? Or did you restore to a previous backup?

5. hengyu408 macrumors member

Sounds like a hardware issue since you've already tried to restore the device. The best thing to do would be to taking it into a apple store and getting it swapped out.

6. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

That's why I asked if he restored it as a NEW phone or to his OLD backup. If he restored to his backup files, then there's a good chance that remnants of jailbreak data will remain on there, and the Genius Bar checks for that data. If it is found, they can't replace it.

I personally restore 2-3 times to get rid of a jailbreak. I only restore to my old backup with the last restore; all other times is a clean restore.

7. Clazgar thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, i didn't use the old backup. I know all too well the issues there :p anyways new development after a 4 hour layover with nothing else to do. I started to restore it, but unplugged it before it actually wrote any data so that it put the iPhone into a recovery mode loop. I then used recboot to kick it out and so far its been running very stable. Ill post if it does go down but this is by far the longest it has lasted.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I wouldn’t bother with it any more. If it goes into needing to be restored again, I’d take it back.