Strangest Problem Ever?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DalesWife, Oct 25, 2011.

1. DalesWife macrumors newbie

Husband and I both have iPad2s. Can't get a lot of use out of them as they will not load mail, and FaceTime will not work. These both worked at the Apple store when we bought them and also both work when we take our iPads out of our home Wi-Fi range (friends homes, restaurants, etc). Strangely, our home Wi-Fi does work WONDERFULLY on the iPads.....we use Safari, play WWF, download from the App Store, etc. Weird - right? These are the only two apps we're having problems with, and the problems only occur on our home wi-fi.

So, I naturally assume my Wi-Fi is blocking these apps and make plans to call Comcast (I live in Sarasota FL). Did some google searching and thinking probably the DNS would need to be changed, but I'm not the most technically savvy person ever. I did add 8.8.8.8, 8.8.8.4 and 8.8.4.4 but that didn't help so I deleted them. I'm a procrastinator and never called Comcast and then.....

Just today I received my iPhone 4s and last week my husband got his iPhone 4s. No problem whatsoever using FaceTime over Wi-Fi. NONE! Mail and FaceTime work GREAT over Wi-Fi!

Ever heard of this? Any solution? Don't know who to call here.....clearly my router/modem is working because my other apps are working on the iPad and even these apps are working on the 4s. Never seen something so strange! :confused:

2. DalesWife thread starter macrumors newbie

3. macintoshbg, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

macintoshbg macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm actually not so sure it's a WiFi error. I was thinking maybe it's an error with the Mail and FaceTime apps on the device itself, rather than your network (since your iPhones work properly). The puzzler here is that the apps only have this problem when they are on your home WiFi network. I would suggest you just backup and restore one device, then try Mail and FaceTime, and if they work, then just do that for the other one, otherwise, I'd talk to an :apple: Genius. Good luck!

Maybe you could tell us more about what's wrong with Mail and FaceTime. Do they crash? Do they give oyu error codes, what actually happens when you try to use them on your home WiFi? Anyways, I hope I helped somewhat :), and congrats on those 4 | S-es :). :apple:

4. DalesWife thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying! No error codes at all as far as Mail goes, it just won't load. FaceTimes tries to connect on the iPad that initiates the call but it just keeps ringing; the receiving device never gets the call at all. No crashes for either though.

And that IS the big puzzler, that they BOTH work GREAT everywhere other than home. Like I said, could the be the strangest problem EVER. Good advice on backing up and restoring one. Also was hoping that loading ios5 onto them might fix the problem. Doing that tomorrow so I'll come back and post then. Thanks so much for your suggestions!