Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I was all about getting the 5.5 inch until I realized I would have to put it into an armband. It just seems massive. Does anyone run with a Galaxy?

I run about 35-40 miles a week and it just seems massive. 4.7 may be the way to go unfortunately.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Seriously, why not just get an iPod shuffle. It's very cheap, probably similar in price to your iPhone armband. Ultra-compact, 2 gig of storage, lots of songs, podcasts, books, whatever. Has the clip right on the device, works well. And you never need to stop and look at a screen. Just press the intuitive buttons.

Once you get a shuffle, you'll never go back to a clunky phone.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Seriously, why not just get an iPod shuffle. It's very cheap, probably similar in price to your iPhone armband. Ultra-compact. Has the clip right on the device, works well. And you never need to stop and look at a screen. Just press the intuitive buttons.

Either a shuffle or nano would be a good option.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Seriously, why not just get an iPod shuffle. It's very cheap, probably similar in price to your iPhone armband. Ultra-compact. Has the clip right on the device, works well. And you never need to stop and look at a screen. Just press the intuitive buttons.
IPod shuffle can't track your runs. I used to use my note 1 with an armband. No issues.

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
This is an easy fix. I use the Nike GPS running watch with an iPod nano (the one with a clip) as my running setup. I leave my phone in the car.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I see a Apple Watch in your future.......

I use the iPhone 5s for music and for Nike plus. I have a jawbone Up for my steps and I have my garmin 310xt since Nike Plus is always off on distance but I like racing against my friends and posting.

Yes, A iwatch is in my future but it won't be out until Jan/Feb/March so we have some time to kill.

----------

IPod shuffle can't track your runs. I used to use my note 1 with an armband. No issues.

Hmmm and it does not bother you having a 5 inch device attached to your arm?

tigerfan41

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I've run with my 5" Galaxy S4 many times.

Get a good arm band, put it on the outer part of your arm (not inside toward you), and it's good to go.

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
A running belt also works if you don't want to look wierd with a phone the size of a tablet on your arm... or a prime target to get mugged.

http://flipbelt.com/

The fit will be snug for a 5.5 but it should fit.. I would try it out in store though to get the proper fit.. REI, Brookstone.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Exactly what I've been trying to figure out for the past 10 minutes. The belt was one recommendation. As long as the 6+ doesn't interfere with the running itself, an armband strap might work better.

The Watch could work for stuff like this, except for the whole "needs an iPhone companion" oversight.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
He still has to carry his phone with an iWatch.

bingo.jpg

----------

Either a shuffle or nano would be a good option.

Def the way to go.

tjusafa14

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2011
Another Idea - Running Buddy

I haven't posted in a very long time but I felt obligated to because I have the exact same issue you do and I have been racking my brain over running with a 5.5 inch iPhone since the rumors started coming out about it.

I run much more often 25 miles a week now and I have Jaybird Bluebuds X bluetooth headphones (that I love) and an armband for my iPhone 5 currently. The issue I see is with a phone as big as the iPhone 6 plus it would be uncomfortable on my arm. The solution I may have found after research is the magnetic pouch called a Running Buddy in this link meant for running with Galaxy Notes. It's a magnetic puch that clips to your waistband and holds the phone. The note Running Buddy is 6.25" long and 4" tall and the iPhone 6 Plus is 6.22" by 3.06" so it should fit. My idea is to put this running buddy on the back of my waistband of my running shorts and then use the Bluebuds (and eventually an AppleWatch) while running. Hopefully this gave you a possible solution to your conundrum!

http://www.therunningbuddy.com/products/galaxy-note-3-running-buddy-black-6l-x-4-1-2h

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I haven't posted in a very long time but I felt obligated to because I have the exact same issue you do and I have been racking my brain over running with a 5.5 inch iPhone since the rumors started coming out about it.

I run much more often 25 miles a week now and I have Jaybird Bluebuds X bluetooth headphones (that I love) and an armband for my iPhone 5 currently. The issue I see is with a phone as big as the iPhone 6 plus it would be uncomfortable on my arm. The solution I may have found after research is the magnetic pouch called a Running Buddy in this link meant for running with Galaxy Notes. It's a magnetic puch that clips to your waistband and holds the phone. The note Running Buddy is 6.25" long and 4" tall and the iPhone 6 Plus is 6.22" by 3.06" so it should fit. My idea is to put this running buddy on the back of my waistband of my running shorts and then use the Bluebuds (and eventually an AppleWatch) while running. Hopefully this gave you a possible solution to your conundrum!

http://www.therunningbuddy.com/products/galaxy-note-3-running-buddy-black-6l-x-4-1-2h

Thank you for the update. I will check it out. I would love it if the Apple Store had store models of the 4.7 and 5.5 until release date so you could wander in and touch one in person.

----------

A running belt also works if you don't want to look wierd with a phone the size of a tablet on your arm... or a prime target to get mugged.

http://flipbelt.com/

The fit will be snug for a 5.5 but it should fit.. I would try it out in store though to get the proper fit.. REI, Brookstone.

Prime Target to get mugged. I am not running in Compton.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Are you worried about how it looks or how it feels?

because, honestly, I have used a handful of different phones and, aside from slight weight differences, they all feel roughly the same, especially after you are 5-10 minutes in.

I agree it can look a little silly, but runners have the craziest looking getups, generally speaking, anyway. Half my clothes are neon with reflictive tapes, short are shorter than anything I would wear anywhere else, and... yeah. You probably look ridiculous running (because ridiculous is the norm). What strapping a brick to your arm going to do? :p

sr1329

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
Yup. Pretty much the entire point of the Apple Watch is negated with an iPhone Plus :/

What if it has enough storage for 20 albums and your run data and can drive a BT headset? Maybe wishful thinking.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
What if it has enough storage for 20 albums and your run data and can drive a BT headset? Maybe wishful thinking.

That wouldn't matter if you want to track your run with a GPS - the Apple Watch doesn't have one. It piggybags on your iPhone's GPS.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Considering there are now 3 sizes of iPhone, shouldn't be too hard to find the least amount of compromise to fit your lifestyle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.