Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
UK
The longest strap available with a 38mm is 200mm.

My wrist measures 210mm, but I want a 38mm.

I actually have a 38mm with a black classic buckle, and the last hole is just fine for me after stretching the leather a bit. I tried a 38mm milanese loop and couldn't get my hand through to put the watch on!

I know there is an obvious trend that 38mm watches need shorter straps, but I think there ought to be longer options for the 38mm. Maybe third party suppliers will do this, but at the moment none of the third party suppliers quote a length.

I know general thinking is that "bigger is better" but I think the 38mm with black classic looks nicely inconspicuous and doesn't shout "look I've got an apple watch!"

Reactions: echo4sierra

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
Looking at my milanese questioning how that works. But granted I have seen that. If you are truly desperate, I know it isn't ideal but if you go for the link and purchase a spare link band you could add more links. If you are truly desperate. The alternative involves uncliping the band itself from the watchface and still, only thr milanese would work for this on most sizes of wrist.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Looking at my milanese questioning how that works. But granted I have seen that. If you are truly desperate, I know it isn't ideal but if you go for the link and purchase a spare link band you could add more links. If you are truly desperate. The alternative involves uncliping the band itself from the watchface and still, only thr milanese would work for this on most sizes of wrist.

No not desperate at the moment as the classic buckle on last hole is very comfortable, but thanks for the tips if things change.

The problem with the Milanese loop is (as you know) that you put it on by allowing the strap to slide through until the magnet reaches the watch, to create a big opening. You slip your hand through and pull the magnet to the right size. Problem is that the biggest opening is too small for my hand! If I could get my hand through it would be right size for me! I don't think detaching the strap from the watch to put it on is a good option.

Reactions: Apples n' Stone

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
I think they were saying that with the Milanese, you can release one side of the band from the watch face, put it on your wrist, and then re-attach the band to the watch.

borka105

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
I was told by an apple store rep. that the width of the straps are actually exactly the same, but that only the length is different.

I don't have a 42mm to compare to, but it is possible that the strap connection point is the same width irrespective of the watch size.

Maybe another forum member that has two watches can answer this question and then you can easily buy a 42mm version of any strap.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
I think they were saying that with the Milanese, you can release one side of the band from the watch face, put it on your wrist, and then re-attach the band to the watch.

What I am trying to describe, it would work just fine unless your wrist is 500 mm. I do not know anyone; least of all me, with enough patience to do that a million times though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
Regarder:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 188
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 196

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I wouldn't do that! Once you put the watch on you wouldn't be able to get it off. How would you press one of the release buttons on the underside of the watch to take it off?

EDIT: Never mind...figured it out. As long is there is enough play in the band when the loop is fully opened you could get a finger underneath to push the button.

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
What I am trying to describe, it would work just fine unless your wrist is 500 mm. I do not now anyone; least of all me, with enough patience to do that a million times though.

Since you said your wrist was 210mm, not 500mm, I guess I'm missing something.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
Since you said your wrist was 210mm, not 500mm, I guess I'm missing something.

Well, it is that fine gem known as Sarcasm. What was being asked about could be done with almost any wrist size, but if it would be as easy as normally is another question. I generally would not have the level of patience to unfasten the strap from the case itself.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
I wouldn't do that! Once you put the watch on you wouldn't be able to get it off. How would you press one of the release buttons on the underside of the watch to take it off?

I was assuming that the problem was fitting it over the hand onto the wrist (where then most folks tighten the band to the comfortable length), not the wrist itself. Now looking at the :apple: website and the Milanese loop specs, it says that the 38mm fits wrists up to 180mm, so that wouldn't work for OP.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
Reason behind the extra links, depending on your country the cheaper idea would be checking ebay for spare links. Maybe not now, but soon. With the loop, their statement must be innacurate and my wrists are around 170mm and it is fastened very loosely from the band's limits.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
Just bothered to measure, including the case the bare maximum is 240mm. Tread carefully if you truly are okay with the entire release-from-case idea. Still stand by the idea of buying spare links or a second bracelet and selling that bracelet (minus links you need) on.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
No not desperate at the moment as the classic buckle on last hole is very comfortable, but thanks for the tips if things change.

The problem with the Milanese loop is (as you know) that you put it on by allowing the strap to slide through until the magnet reaches the watch, to create a big opening. You slip your hand through and pull the magnet to the right size. Problem is that the biggest opening is too small for my hand! If I could get my hand through it would be right size for me! I don't think detaching the strap from the watch to put it on is a good option.

Did you try this at the store? Sounds good!

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
The longest strap available with a 38mm is 200mm.

My wrist measures 210mm, but I want a 38mm.

I actually have a 38mm with a black classic buckle, and the last hole is just fine for me after stretching the leather a bit. I tried a 38mm milanese loop and couldn't get my hand through to put the watch on!

I know there is an obvious trend that 38mm watches need shorter straps, but I think there ought to be longer options for the 38mm. Maybe third party suppliers will do this, but at the moment none of the third party suppliers quote a length.

I know general thinking is that "bigger is better" but I think the 38mm with black classic looks nicely inconspicuous and doesn't shout "look I've got an apple watch!"
Doesn't it shout "look at that tiny watch on his thick wrist" though?

Reactions: Apples n' Stone

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
Just get a pair of aftermarket strap adapters and then buy some aftermarket straps or bracelets. You can get a pair of 38mm strap adapters on eBay for under $15. There countless traditional watch straps and bracelets that can then be used with your Apple Watch. Most traditional watch straps and bracelets are much cheaper than Apples offerings.

The only things is that I'm not sure about the max width of strap that the 38mm adapters will accommodate. Perhaps 22mm? I know that on my 42mm Watch adapers I can fit 24mm wide straps.

Skorpio

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
SC USA
I was told by an apple store rep. that the width of the straps are actually exactly the same, but that only the length is different.

I don't have a 42mm to compare to, but it is possible that the strap connection point is the same width irrespective of the watch size.

Maybe another forum member that has two watches can answer this question and then you can easily buy a 42mm version of any strap.
I can confirm that 38mm straps widths are smaller than 42's -
42mm on the left with 38mm strap and vice versa
3786f77fbb6b3c1ad20e39cc6961fbec.jpg
the 42mm strap is doable but slightly juts out from the body.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
My wrist is slightly smaller than yours (8"/203mm), but I have the same issue as you - big hands to get through the bands to put them on. When I did the try-on with the 42mm link, I didn't have any problem putting it on whatsoever. The sports band only had one additional hole - seems a little smaller than it should be.
You did try a 42mm on yourself before deciding on the 38mm? You're going to be limited to 3rd party bands if you stay with a 38mm watch (additionally, if you also have wide fingers, the 42mm screen is a little more forgiving).

If you stick with the 38mm, you're going to need to get 3rd party lugs (like the Click adapters or something similar). You can find them on e-bay. Once you have those, you can get watch bands anywhere and use them on your watch. There's threads in the Accessories forum that you can find more info on lugs people are buying.

Best of luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.