Strategies for comprehensive backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kylera, May 26, 2016.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Today, I heard from a classmate that she got hit with ransomware on her Windows laptop. Coupled with the fact that a while back, Transmission once had ransomware injected into an updated version, this got me thinking about upping my backup plan.

At the moment, all I have is Time Machine enabled and continuously making incremental backups. I also have copies of work and school-related materials in Dropbox and a USB key.

What more can I do to further minimize damages in case something happens? Doing a quick search showed me the 3-2-1 strategy - having at least 3 total copies of your data, 2 of which are local but on different mediums (read: devices), and at least 1 copy offsite. How can I actually apply this?

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Create a cloned, bootable backup on an external drive using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

Better:

Create TWO cloned backups. Keep one close-at-hand. Store the other one "off-site" at a different location.

4. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

I usually go with a three pronged approach to backup
    1) Incremental backups with Time Machine
    2) Bootable clone with CarbonCopyCloner
    3) Cloud backup with Backblaze

5. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

How often should I create or update bootable clones? Or should this be a clean state, and leave as is?

6. chscag macrumors 68000

I make a CCC backup every other day, but it depends on your personal usage and what other methods of backup you're currently employing. I also backup with Time Machine. You've received good advice from the previous replies.

7. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

In your case, how wouls you deal with any "sleeper" malware? As in malware that may wreak havoc after a period of time, or some trigger?

8. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

Trying not to TC, but I used to use MozyPro... do you guys recommend Backblaze or Crashplan over that for offsite/cloud backup?

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Tell your classmate that after se cleans her computer for to use OpenDNS.com because she could use some DNS protection be use that service uses PhispTank! This way she can somewhat protect herself from nefarious sites!