Strategies for Day 2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Small White Car, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

For those who couldn't get one this morning, what do people think is their best course of action on Saturday?

Wait at an Apple store tomorrow morning on the theory that they'll get more tonight? Hang out watching for returns? Something else?

Did anyone here have any luck on Day 2 back in 2007? Love to hear from you if you did!

Otherwise I'll just wait a week. Whatever, it's cool. But I thought I'd ask if anyone else had a plan.

2. bry223 macrumors regular

I wont be trying until sometime next week, Im already exhausted, my vacation started today so Im going to relax a bit.

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

You should wait next week, so I have a better chance tomorrow ;)

I'll check availability on Apple's site and try my luck tomorrow.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It might be very useful if we could have a central place to go for UK people who haven't got one yet, info as to how/where/when to get one etc sticky, approved by a Mod, to let us list stock levels, and known future stock replenishes.
    I'm heading for a city size non London Apple store and hoping they'll have a stock update faster than O2 (even though an existing customer on Simplicity)

mods - any chance of helping out the British brethren?

Where can we check for availability in Apple stores? Anyone got a link?

5. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

Last year Apple had a page showing all this stuff. Remember? I don't see anything like that this year. They probably got complaints since there's no way to make it 100% accurate.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Better than 0% accurate from O2!

7. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I didn't see last year's page. But I checked this out last night.

It's set up to have a green or red indicators for each iPhone model to show which ones they have or do not have in stock for the next day.

http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/availability.html

8. nolatron macrumors member

It's on the individual store's retail page at apple.com

I'll probably swing by the AT&T store at 8am tomorrow to see what they got.

If they're out of stock just place an order for one. No since in spending a week constantly checking stores to find one with iPhones in stock if AT&T can simply order one in same time frame.

9. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Its still there.
    Go to their iphone page, look for where you can get it. Pick Apple stores, work down to your store. It will show iPhone in stock or not.

Its available after 9pm.

10. chars macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the ATT stores are going to get a new shipment for tomorrow morning or is it just Apple? A couple ATT stores out in Chicago have said they don't know of any new shipment. Anyone else heard anything?

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

We'll probably release some of the current stickies before creating new ones... and a UK-specific one for what Arn has said is only 9% of the traffic may just cause people to want one for their own country or state. Before too long, this will be a non-issue.

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Is there a UK version? I can only see http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/buy/

:(

irie :) 9% of a lot of traffic, is a lot of traffic hehe ;)
    Here's to O2 , and O2 iPhone 3G stock levels becoming a "non-issue" :D

13. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

Thanks, all.

I couldn't find it because they did it differently last year. It was its own page then, but now it's by store.

Good to know!

14. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I love this wonderful utility Apple has provided...NOT! For all we know, having 1 in stock means available.

15. Penguinwrangler macrumors regular

AT&T stores should be getting re-stocking shipments tonight if they haven't already. Apple stores seem to be okay on stock, but lines are still really long everywhere I've called. Also, there's the whole issue of getting a phone you can't use till the iTunes servers come back up to capacity, and a few of the Apple employees I've spoken to today did not seem overly optimistic that that would happen tonight.

16. DallasChief macrumors newbie

Here's my plan:
    Close up shop at 5:00 pm.
    Pick up wife and head to lake house.
    spend the rest of the weekend drinking beer and fishing.
    Check back with AT&T about Wednesday.

I have already been waiting over 3 weeks. My boat came loose from the dock and was floating away. I jumped in after it forgetting my Iphone was in my pocket. They don't like swimming very much!
    Spent the last 3 weeks with my old Motorola, guess I can suck it up for a few more days.

17. maryanny macrumors member

AT&T let me purchase one today and for 14 dollars its express shipped. They'll call me Tuesday to pick it up. No waiting in any lines for me. I think I prefer it this way, by Tuesday Mobile Me and iTunes Activation should be fixed by then.

18. BrightestBear macrumors member

I just called one local AT&T store, and they said all the upcoming shipments to AT&T stores in my area will be used to fill the orders being placed today. Then I called a different AT&T store in my area, and they said that the orders are being shipped separately, and that all the stores in the area will be getting new shipments tonight that will be available first come, first served tomorrow. Who should I believe??

What a mess.

19. l3lack J4ck macrumors member

I need to know the same thing. If so im going to the AT&T store tomorrow at 8 to check on it.

My AT&T stores both told me they have no idea when shipments are coming in. One guy told me "long after Monday" after i suggested me coming in monday.

The other told me no idea shouldnt be too long.

I guess i'll check tomorrow just to be sure.

20. BrightestBear macrumors member

One AT&T guy I talked to said all the stores in the area should be getting shipments tonight for walk-in customers tomorrow. Take that for what it's worth. (I'm in downstate Illinois.)

Also, I think the AT&T stores are opening at the regular time tomorrow, 10 a.m. I might go early just in case, but I don't think they'll be open at 8 like this morning.

21. And5555 macrumors member

I would go with the second guy's statement for 2 reasons:
    1) Every report thus far on the forums has said that they were told of separate stocks of iPhones (orders vs regular shipments).
    2) The first guy was probably trying to get you to do a fulfillment (meaning a. they get your $ at *that* store, and b. he gets the commission on it).

I have a question for you: What area do you live in where you were told they every store was getting shipments tonight?

(I haven't been able to get any sort of shipping information at all from any stores here in Austin, TX.)

22. backfromtejas macrumors newbie

What do you all think the line situation will be tomorrow morning?

Do you think there's going to be lines starting at 5 or 6 am like there were this morning?

How was it last year?

I can wait until tomorrow but I just want to know what time I should get there.

23. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Last year I recall hearing that if the stock got below 5 or so it would be listed as unavailable.

Also to note: the stock reflects stock as of 9 PM local time. If they receive a shipment midday, they'll likely start selling.

Also, this tool is a lot better than last year as it distinguishes between size and color.

24. BrightestBear macrumors member

And5555, I'm in downstate Illinois, and I've talked to AT&T stores in a few cities within an hour of one another to try to figure out what's up. And I like your thought process with which story to believe :)

backfromtejas, I don't know what it was like last year on day 2, but I'd like to find out. I'm not planning on going super early. Maybe 9 a.m. to get the jump on the 10 a.m. open?

25. calvy macrumors 65816

Last year I walked into the Apple store at noon and picked up an 8GB iPhone with no wait at all. This year I am doubtful. I've checked my Apple store in St Louis Galleria 3 times now. Each time the line has been 100+ people long. close to 200 in some periods. I may check one more time prior to close tonight. And if I still can't get one without a rediculous wait in line, then I'll try getting there in the morning, maybe an hour or so prior to opening. I don't want to camp, I just want my damn phone. This activation in store crap is a pain in the rear. It's slowing things down so much. I am interested to see sales numbers today. I bet they don't move more than 5 phones an hour.