Strategies for iPhone 6+ Apple store walk in purchases?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulgandersman, Oct 8, 2014.

1. paulgandersman macrumors regular

So yesterday a friend of mine walked into an Apple store in Austin TX and they had a 6+ which he bought on the spot. There was no listed stock available on apple.com for that store when he got it.

What are some successful strategies people are employing in order to successfully buy a 6+ (I'm looking for a verizon model) at an Apple store by walking in? Should I just start being there when it opens every morning?

I've tried calling the store but I think it just routes me to someone at the main 1800 number who just checks the online inventory (I say this because when I call they ask for my zip code). Meaning they are probably looking at the same thing I am looking at.

Ideas?

2. FoxD macrumors 6502

Sign up for istocknow alerts. Order online when you get one and pick it up in store. I got one in less than 2 days of looking. :)

3. ayobonus macrumors regular

I honestly just walked in to the Apple Store at Grand Central one day at around 0730 (they open at 0700), and I asked if they had any 128GB 6 Pluses since I wanted to exchange my 64GB 6 Plus. They had them available and I was out and headed to work in 10 minutes.

It's honestly just luck. Don't rely on the store availability on the website. Either 1) They have a separate stock for in store pickups or 2) once the morning rush goes by and they still have stock available, they'll update the store availability.

I could be wrong, but those are my assumptions. But your best bet is to just go to an Apple Store either before they open, or right after they open. It'll be your best chance of getting one.

EDIT: grammar and spelling

4. paulgandersman thread starter macrumors regular

sorry i should have specified, I've been doing that too. But I know for a fact that apple stores are not listing all their stock online (which is what istock alerts are based on). Apple is holding stock back in store for walk ins only (meaning no online orders, just "hey do you have 6+?" people).

Looking for advice from folks that have lined up in mornings/walked in/etc and had success.

5. AppleP59 macrumors 6502

That's actually a good idea

6. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Go to Best Buy, and they have you purchase a $50 gift card and then reserve you whatever phone you want. I got a plus in 4 days doing this and it was the first week after launch.

Only downside is there is no "first available" option. If you put down I want a 64 silver, and they get a gold you don't get a call.

7. koban4max macrumors 68000

just tell people who are waiting in line that Apple has a new keynote out..and tell them to go home and watch it because there are new products.

8. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

OH!, I get it. Because everyone that likes Apple must be mindless sheeple that can't think for themselves. They are so dumb that telling a see through lie like that would definitely get them to leave line immediately......THAT'S SO FUNNY....... (i'm not laughing!!!!!!!!)

9. FoxD macrumors 6502

Get there around 10:30am and get in line. They usually start selling them around 11am if stock has been delivered. Good luck!

10. Roland Deschain macrumors member

Just walked into an Apple store and got my 6+ today, just after canceling my AT&T pre-order.

My strategy was to sign up for the iPhone 6 stock status alert at seaturtle.org. It emailed me this morning that my local Apple store had the 6+ 128GB SG in stock. I couldn't pre-order for in-store pickup (AT&T snafu), so I kept checking it throughout the morning before the store opened. It would fluctuate from "in-stock" to "not available", but for that store only. All other stores in the area consistently showed "not available". I guessed that I was seeing them check inventory in, then online orders reserving it and taking their system back down to 0 units available.

On that hunch, I showed up at the open (along with 20 or so other folks with similar ideas) and sure enough, they had substantial quantities of every color, every carrier 6+ 128GB.

11. CarRamRod macrumors member

Yup, this is correct. Finally snagged my 128 gb, T-mobile6+ yesterday. I received an istock alert for the actual store where I was waiting in line. Could not be added online, but available for walk ins (me :cool:).

Best advice I can give...you gotta do it the old fashioned way. Wake up at the ass crack of dawn and go stand in line. Monday, I got in line at 6:45 a.m. for a store that opened at 9. Was the first person and next guy showed up around 7:15. Unfortunately NO 6 pluses at all.

Next day got in line around 8:00 at a different store that opened at 10:00. I was the first and ONLY person in line for while...couldn't tell you when the next person showed up because the apple store employees were nice enough to come out and let me buy the phone super early after they saw i was the only one. :apple:

12. Fozzybadfeet macrumors 6502

Fozzybadfeet

I'm on the same boat, but I have a pre-order through Apple.com for AT&T. I'm hoping that my local Apple store will get a 6+ soon...If that's the case, I'll just cancel my pre-order and go to the store.

Reading all the posts of people who placed an order back in September and have yet to receive an update on their order, makes me think that my order won't be fulfilled till mid or end of November.

13. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

Four stores in N. California gave me a completely different answer.
    They all said that their inventory counts come from a central system and they don't have an extra stock set aside for walk-ins.

The guy who talks to the walk-ins and checks the availability ("what are you interested in? Here is what we have...") use the central system, not a secret local stash.

If you are lucky and have a couple stores nearby, just keep checking istocknow and when you do, have a different browser already at the Apple store with only the store location pickup to select. Have everything else done. They go fast this way.

14. paulgandersman thread starter macrumors regular

They absolutely 100% have a separate stock for walk ins only. I have a friend who works at the store and confirmed this for me. Many people on this site have had that confirmed for them as well.

15. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

it amazes me that people come to a forum that is dedicated to a brand of electronic devices and be surprised when you find people that hold them in high regard, enjoy their devices, and does not need to complain about every little thing that they deem a "....gate" problem.

Maybe I am a fanboy, thats fine I've been called worse. Im definitely grouchy. Reading these posts on here make me sad for my society. You have an amazing device yet people bash it from every corner, they talk about suing a company and its CEO because there is not enough product to buy. I am SICK of people making fun of those that find these products to enhance our lives and we enjoy the news of new ones. I may be a fanboy, but this fan boy is not going to just sit back and take everyones crap anymore!!!!

16. AppleP59 macrumors 6502

I don't have a problem with people being holding a brand in high regard. It's only a problem when people (or a fanboy) begin being dishonest to themselves about "their product". Over looking flaws etc. Whether it's the blind trust in the next iPhone, a rallying argument about President Reagan, or a fervent argument for the PS4 over the Xbox One, we like to pick sides and stick to them.
    This alone is obnoxious, but it causes more than just minor annoyances: it means we attach ourselves to brands and can't think critically about the choices we make when shopping.

When you're part of a group, you're more likely to sympathize and treat other members of the group with rewards. Essentially, it helps you define "us" and "them," which our brain likes to do.

Here's a good video on the subject.

17. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I talked to the guys at the local AT&T store, and they told me that they have not gotten any 6+ since the launch. The Target had a rather large placard setup in the entry showing both models, and I asked them what they had, and they said they have never received any 6+ at all. They did have the 6, and had been restocked a couple of times, but no 6+.

Regarding the 'hidden stock' idea. I did talk to a 'genius' about what they do for people that have defective or that wanted to exchange their phones.

He said that they 'usually' have a stock of phones for 'customer issues' so that if someone say gets one where the speaker doesn't work, or the headphone jack doesn't work, they can swap it out right there on-the-spot without making the person wait for a replacement, or swap for size, he said they frowned on swapping for the colour.

After there are enough refurbished phones in the supply chain, they stop doing that. It made sense to me. I'd hate to have to wait for a good phone knowing that the one I have is bonked.

And while I was standing there, two people came in with bad speakers and one with a bad home button. That was for the 5s.

18. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

"IF" Everything you say there is true let me ask you this. WHY DOES THAT BOTHER YOU!!! let that person be the way they are. let them do what they want. those "fanboys" you talk about built this forum in order to express their "fanboyism" with the like without bothering others. I find you disgusting that you now feel it is ok to come here and make an issue out of it. DONT LIKE IT, GO AWAY!!!!!!