Strategies for using Tags in Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by m021478, Oct 23, 2013.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

I'm very curious to find out how some of you plan to use Tags in Mavericks (feel free to post screenshots).

Apple uses generic tags to give people a sense of their purpose:

[​IMG]

While their example works to clarify the basic concept of tagging, I don't think such broad top-level tags as Home, Work, and Travel would suffice if you plan to incorporate tagging into your general workflow.

I know this is a highly individualized concept and none of you are likely to post a tagging strategy that works perfectly for any other one of us, but I think we could all learn a little something by seeing how others plan to implement tagging.

Couple of specific questions I have are:
    • Do you plan create hundreds of tags, or a more static/refined collection of tags?
    • How about using tags to denote level of importance/priority (i.e. tags simply called: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
    • Does it make sense to group related tags using color labels? (i.e. Assign the color blue to Work related tags such as receipt or invoice, then using the color red to group together tags pertaining to my personal life such as kids, soccer, landscaping).
    Feel free to chime in and answer these questions, or to give a brief explanation of your tagging strategy. Thanks!

2. Km133 macrumors member

I'm looking forward to tagging my documents going forward.

I work at a university, so my work is divided between teaching and research projects. I teach two separate classes and am currently working on 3 research projects. Each uses a range of different documents and I think tags will be a very handy way to organise this. Already got a use for 5 colours!

3. pencilcheck macrumors member

Useful for finding stuff in relevant categories, but usually I just put them all in one folder so tags seems useless to my use case.

4. laserbeam273 macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm curious to see if there's any value if you actually already manage your files well in folders. It doesn't take me long to find any doc on my mac.