Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I don't think apple should be worried at all.

Its a rehashed not so great existing product from Toshiba, looks uguly and doesn't have a apple wheel control thingy.

The wifi thing looks a com-lete waste of time especially as you can only play transferred songs 3 times or something.

It seems like MS are doing this half baked and I was expecting it to be better. OK its not released, I am no MS hater but have a soft spot for apple but to me this thing is dead in teh water. It will sell a bit and get them in the market, that's all

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
princealfie said:
Any tips on making sure that the MS mp3 player will crash and burn? :rolleyes:

Convince Microsoft to release it in ugly colors, like brown.

Oh, wait... :eek:

vv-tim said:
You're acting like Microsoft is going to squash the underdog and ruin a great product. If Microsoft does win in the mp3-player war it's going to be because of a far superior product

Hmm, you mean like how Windows won fair and square in the OS market for being a far superior product?

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
princealfie said:

Crash - we're talking Microsoft here.
Burn - is Sony supplying the batteries?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
princealfie said:
Okay, if you are mac fans, why would you be wishing for a competitor for the ipod? I presume that you want a boxing match eh? :D

OK, you asked for it. ;)

I wouldn't underestimate Microsoft to get this right especially with their cash, persistence and track-record. But also with their 'embrace and extend' tactics which we've seen time and time again... build some kind of essential functionality into Windows/Vista, shrug off all the toothless anti-competition scrutiny and a few years down the line, it's all done and dusted.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
archurban said:
I saw pre-release manual on Zune. it says that Zune will be compatible with unprotected AAC, H.264 format. but it never mentions whether the possibility of getting music from ITS. I guess not. its battery life 12 hours for music, 3.5 hours for video without turning on wireless share.

If true that is tragically low, the iPod manages 14 hours (and it's smaller), i wonder how many minutes the battery lasts with Wi-Fi on?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
princealfie said:
Buy an iPod.

Get your family and friends to buy iPods.

Get your co-workers to buy iPods.

Point being, is that the market will dictate. Some will purchase Zunes. Can't stop that. However, the more that purchase iPods the better.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
vv-tim said:
If Microsoft does win in the mp3-player war it's going to be because of a far superior product to the titan that is the iPod, and if they win, the consumers win. I'm all for Microsoft crushing the iPod if it means I get a nicer media player.

Yes, but Microsoft could win simply by selling at a lower price. MS has the cash to buy this market if they wanted it. Let's say they sold these 30GB Zune players at $99 each. At $99 Zune would do two things (1) kill iPod sales and (2) loose a ton of money. Look at the XBox. They are willing to loose about $100 on every box they sell because gainning market share means more to MS then making money -- Money they have alreadty but market share they need. Same applies in the MP3 world. They can afford to buy market share.

iflipper

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
Leeds, UK
dsnort said:
Circulate a lot of pictures of the Baby ***** brown Zune! :eek:
Just what I was thinking! It's a pretty disappointing device though, I was hoping for wireless download of files from an online store or internet radio streaming. Instead they offer to share a few tracks with someone else who has one (but you have to find someone who does). Lame.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
iflipper said:
Just what I was thinking! It's a pretty disappointing device though, I was hoping for wireless download of files from an online store or internet radio streaming. Instead they offer to share a few tracks with someone else who has one (but you have to find someone who does). Lame.
Unless MS hasn't announced all of the WiFi features yet. Perhaps they don't want Cupertino to fire up their copy machines just yet. ;)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
ChrisA said:
Look at the XBox. They are willing to loose about $100 on every box they sell because gainning market share means more to MS then making money -- Money they have alreadty but market share they need. Same applies in the MP3 world. They can afford to buy market share.
But isn't the catch of selling the XBox consoles at a loss the fact that they end up making money in the end on the games that they sell?

I mean, what's the point of market share if it's not profit related somehow? :confused:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
aristobrat said:
But isn't the catch of selling the XBox consoles at a loss the fact that they end up making money in the end on the games that they sell?

I mean, what's the point of market share if it's not profit related somehow? :confused:

Long-term.

Microsoft could bleed money out every orifice if they wanted to, for so long that nobody else would have the strength to compete. Then, when everyone else is gone, they own the the market and can start hiking prices back up. Way up.

Do you remember the early days of internet commerce? Amazon.com and all the other early e-stores had ridiculous low prices, free shipping, buy one get one free deals, ... They blew away all that money to buy their way into a loyal customer base. One by one the little guys ran out of money, and now here's Amazon, a store that everyone loves, and now they can get away with charging realistic prices to be profitable.

I still remember the days of $8.88 new release DVDs with free UPS shipping from a company called 800.com, and when they accidentally sent me TWO, they let me keep both.

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2006
Microsoft has the money to create a really good iPod competitor.

The Zune is not a really good iPod competior. It won't be very successful. Microsoft will make a new Zune that may or may not be good. But this first Zune is gonna suck.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
dont worry cause unless microsoft buys exclusive rights to every thing that does with mp3 i dont see microsoft catching up with apple in the near future

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
As much as it pains me to see it, I think the more success the Zune has, the better for the consumer. Competition will drive technology up and costs down. I think without some sort of shove, Apple would have taken their sweet time to release a widescreen ipod and would have milked the 5g design for as long as possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.