Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
I have my domain and email currently with TSOhost, and I'd like to move off their email because it's been unreliable from time to time. I had been thinking about Fastmail, but given I'm already paying for iCloud+ that seems a better strategy.

My understanding of the Apple service is that it is only setting up an alias to my iCloud email, so there won't be an IMAP mailbox behind it. My current TSO contract runs until mid-2023, so I assume I can set up the iCloud alias and start getting new emails to the iCloud account, and keep access to the TSO account for historic emails until 2023. Or is there a better solution?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I have my domain and email currently with TSOhost, and I'd like to move off their email because it's been unreliable from time to time. I had been thinking about Fastmail, but given I'm already paying for iCloud+ that seems a better strategy.

My understanding of the Apple service is that it is only setting up an alias to my iCloud email, so there won't be an IMAP mailbox behind it. My current TSO contract runs until mid-2023, so I assume I can set up the iCloud alias and start getting new emails to the iCloud account, and keep access to the TSO account for historic emails until 2023. Or is there a better solution?
IMAP us a protocol for receiving and storing email locally. It has nothing to do with how the email is stored by the vendor.

Heck, even Gmail provides for IMAP access.

Last I remember, you could use IMAP to get at iCloud email.

Reactions: colodane

dallardice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
I may not have expressed myself clearly. My primary concern is about my existing email history, whether they are moveable into the iCloud environment or whether they should be left where they are, or if there is an alternative archiving solution that lets me retain access to them.

capandcamera

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2021
I've just completed a migration from Fastmail to iCloud using custom domains.

I configured iCloud custom domains first, including domain settings to send emails to iCloud.
I exported all emails from FastMail, which exported each individual email as a .eml file,
Imported all .eml files (selected apple mail on import)
This then imported every .eml as a new mailbox under a folder named 'Import', I selected all sub-folders (as a group) and moved the emails to the relevant folder on iCloud.

Reactions: colodane

capandcamera

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2021
It allows you to set up multiples at the start for each user (if its shared as a family), I didn't do this though so unfortunately don't know how it behaves, but now I've set it up it allows aliases to be set up (again not set this up yet so not sure how it behaves)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.