Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Any one have any experience using the Strava app on the S3 watch with LTE? On the Series 2, the mapping with the GPS doesn't work that great, missing a good chunk of the route and/or is grossly inaccurate. A part of me wonders if it's related to the delay in acquiring the GPS signal. Wondering if this works out better with Series 3, i.e. if the location acquisition is better with the LTE signal?

dietzpa

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Also curious - data quality from Apple Watch Strava app seems pretty inferior to uploading data straight from a Garmin/Connect.

KDR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Used it this morning. Significantly overstated elevation, consistent with devices that do not use barometric altimeters. Not sure if the Strava app has been updated to use the altimeter. I'll try the built in workout app next and see how that compares to my Garmin.

bjaaronrodgie

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2017
Any one have any experience using the Strava app on the S3 watch with LTE? On the Series 2, the mapping with the GPS doesn't work that great, missing a good chunk of the route and/or is grossly inaccurate. A part of me wonders if it's related to the delay in acquiring the GPS signal. Wondering if this works out better with Series 3, i.e. if the location acquisition is better with the LTE signal?

If you're looking to use the Strava app to upload to Strava, you can now do so using the built in workout app. Download RunGap on your phone, sync that with health (read only) then share it to Strava. Works great! I'm not a big fan of the Strava AW app myself.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Being a Strava user is the one thing turning me off the apple watch now. Last I read if you run with the workout app you get a more accurate route than using Strava. My guess is that it's some kind of overhead of having Strave running.

Might just buy the AW for my wife and take her Garmin

bjaaronrodgie

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2017
Being a Strava user is the one thing turning me off the apple watch now. Last I read if you run with the workout app you get a more accurate route than using Strava. My guess is that it's some kind of overhead of having Strave running.

Might just buy the AW for my wife and take her Garmin

You can now sync workouts throught the native Workout app with Strava.

loplop

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
If you're looking to use the Strava app to upload to Strava, you can now do so using the built in workout app. Download RunGap on your phone, sync that with health (read only) then share it to Strava. Works great! I'm not a big fan of the Strava AW app myself.
Thanks for the idea--I have been using the Strava app for the last year or so, and although it's gotten better I'm not thrilled with it. But I'm a strava premium user and pretty deep in the ecosystem...

I'm going to try this tonight! Native AW workout app, exported to Strava, via RunGap. Awesome. Thank you!

bjaaronrodgie

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2017
Thanks I tried it, but looks like I need to be a VIP for Strava to send the activity to them or something.

I believe it is $3 for the “Swag Bag” which allows you to shade it. You can also export the .gpx file the upload it to Strava for free, though that is obviously much more tedious. I think it’s worth the money. Still, wish Strava would just implement this option or Apple just make it easier.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
I believe it is $3 for the “Swag Bag” which allows you to shade it. You can also export the .gpx file the upload it to Strava for free, though that is obviously much more tedious. I think it’s worth the money. Still, wish Strava would just implement this option or Apple just make it easier.

Trying to piece this together. Can RunGap do this automatically? Or should I export the GPX and import to Strava every time? I bought the "Swag Bag" in the app but am a little confused... the only thing I'd like to do is sync my Apple Workouts ("Health") data directly to Strava!

bjaaronrodgie

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2017
Trying to piece this together. Can RunGap do this automatically? Or should I export the GPX and import to Strava every time? I bought the "Swag Bag" in the app but am a little confused... the only thing I'd like to do is sync my Apple Workouts ("Health") data directly to Strava!

Right. So pull your workouts using RunGap. Then you have to tap on each individual workout within RunGap. Then tap the 3 dots, then “share.” You will obviously need to connect Strava and RunGap prior. It will then share the workout (or upload) to Strava! Unfort this process is not automatic. I recommend not allowing Strava or RunGap to write to health as that will create duplicate workouts in the Workouts app. Hope this helps.

Reactions: James.K.Polk

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
Right. So pull your workouts using RunGap. Then you have to tap on each individual workout within RunGap. Then tap the 3 dots, then “share.” You will obviously need to connect Strava and RunGap prior. It will then share the workout (or upload) to Strava! Unfort this process is not automatic. I recommend not allowing Strava or RunGap to write to health as that will create duplicate workouts in the Workouts app. Hope this helps.

Perfect - thanks so much!

hoteasorin

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2017
I think the Workouts app is the way to go and then use RunGap to send the data (including GPS map) to your favorite service.

It is so frustrating that Strava cuts the time of the workouts. I have an AW2 and I’ve seen that my workout times are shortened when synced to Strava (after workout, when the phone is in range of my watch). I’ve tries everything and today I was glad that I could use AW native workout app for tracking and sharing to Strava using RunGap, as you said here. I did this, but the result is the same. I have one workout duration in Activity app and in RunGap, but in Strava, after sharing, the duration is cut. All we can do is wait for Strava to fix this...

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
It is so frustrating that Strava cuts the time of the workouts. I have an AW2 and I’ve seen that my workout times are shortened when synced to Strava (after workout, when the phone is in range of my watch). I’ve tries everything and today I was glad that I could use AW native workout app for tracking and sharing to Strava using RunGap, as you said here. I did this, but the result is the same. I have one workout duration in Activity app and in RunGap, but in Strava, after sharing, the duration is cut. All we can do is wait for Strava to fix this...
Yea I think the Garmin app is the best citizen of our exported data - all I really want is a good post processing app to keep track of PRs and total distance in a month/lifetime

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.