'Strava' Running and Cycling App Updated With Real-Time Safety Feature

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The developers of popular running and cycling app Strava have announced a new safety feature for premium members that lets users broadcast their location in real time to friends and family.

The new feature, called Beacon, means runners and cyclists can now share their whereabouts with select contacts, who can then easily locate them if they don't return from their workout when expected or in the event of an emergency, for example.

"Let's say it's 3:30, you said you'd be home at 3:00 and you're not moving towards home," said Ethan Hollinshead, Senior Product Manager on Strava's blog. "That's a good indication that they should reach out to you and see what's up. Maybe you stopped for a coffee, or maybe you got a flat tire. Where it's really designed to help the cyclist or runner is in that peace of mind scenario - to keep people from unnecessarily worrying about you."
According to Strava, selected contacts don't need to be users of the app. Rather, the app sends a text message to the contacts that includes a secure web link showing the user's location on a map, allowing them to track the user's progress in real time.

Once premium users have updated the app, the Beacon feature will appear in the lower right of the New Run or Ride screen. A tap of the Beacon icon lets users choose up to three safety contacts who will receive their location when they confirm to send the text.

Strava Running and Cycling is a free download available for iPhone and iPad on the App Store. [Direct Link] A premium Strava membership costs $6 per month.

Article Link: 'Strava' Running and Cycling App Updated With Real-Time Safety Feature

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
At the point you are selecting and confirming who sees your location - you don't really need this feature.

ILuvEggplant

Suspended
Jul 28, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
Nice feature but Strava looks cynical for making it extra cost. At the least they should allow one free contact just for "good will."
Strava premium is geared mostly to cyclists and triathletes who like to compete on segments. It's worth the pricing imo. Many of us our out riding for HOURS!

Many of us already have a Garmin device that comes with garmin live but honestly it doesn't work well. It often disconnects .

Good for strava

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm surprised nobody else has said this but...

Find My Friends?

It's completely free, and you're not limited to just 3 contacts. Either way it's an app on your iPhone that's using GPS to send your current location... the only real difference is that Find my Friends requires the person you're sharing your location with to have an iCloud account.

Reactions: tk421

ILuvEggplant

Suspended
Jul 28, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
I'm surprised nobody else has said this but...

Find My Friends?

It's completely free, and you're not limited to just 3 contacts. Either way it's an app on your iPhone that's using GPS to send your current location... the only real difference is that Find my Friends requires the person you're sharing your location with to have an iCloud account.
It's about convenience. Not many people use find my friends and not all cyclists use an iPhone.

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
SF
Hopefully this type of technology goes a long way in helping victim's families and law enforcement to track loved ones much earlier in an unfortunate case of assault.
Damn dude, you've been listening to too much fear-mongering! Think mechanical malfunction on a bike ride, or a fall and injury on a trail run. Or the dreaded "return home after ride and realize iPhone fell out of your bag".

Reactions: Dirtvert

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Strava premium is geared mostly to cyclists and triathletes who like to compete on segments. It's worth the pricing imo. Many of us our out riding for HOURS!

Many of us already have a Garmin device that comes with garmin live but honestly it doesn't work well. It often disconnects .

Good for strava
Sure, but my point isn't that Strava Premium isn't worth the $ but that Strava looks greedy withholding a potential life saving features from non-premium users, at least to let users have one "free" contact. If the premium features are as worthwhile as you state then this tracking feature is just a bonus and not a primary reason to subscribe. If this was a performance feature then I would agree.

Also this is nothing like Garmin live, which just lets people track others movements. Strava sends out an SOS when a specific event doesn't occur.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Damn dude, you've been listening to too much fear-mongering! Think mechanical malfunction on a bike ride, or a fall and injury on a trail run. Or the dreaded "return home after ride and realize iPhone fell out of your bag".
Real nice response. So I cite one very valid, positive, potential lifesaving aspect of this technology and you have the gall to criticize me for it? Must be all sunshine, rainbows and kittens where you're from.

(Glad you're not looking out for my safety.)

Reactions: rhp2424 and thewebb

aarontsuru

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
But you can do that on the free version.... I've been cycling & running for years on Strava and the few friends who've gone Premium said it's really not worth it.

quagski

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
I've been a Strava Premium user for a handful of months now, and was on the free version for about a year prior. Outside of getting more data to chew on, Premium is not really worth it if you actually pay for it. They've partnered with New Balance where you can sync your two accounts and you collect "points" for each activity you complete. After a certain amount of points, you can trade up for a 12, 6, or 3-month Premium subscription for "free", pretty simple.

As for Beacon, it's just another welcome feature they've added to an already killer app for runners/cyclists. Yes, there are free versions for SOS notifications (Road ID), but it seems, Strava has thought of a few more things and integrated it nicely into an already smooth app. Only problem for me is that I don't bring my phone with me during my runs, but I'm sure it won't be long until they create a Garmin Connect IQ app like they did with Live Suffer Scores.

Last edited:

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Hopefully this type of technology goes a long way in helping victim's families and law enforcement to track loved ones much earlier in an unfortunate case of assault.
It's not for assault. It for accidents on the road while riding great distances away for your home. I'm actually not sure how this would help an assaulted victim anyway. Kidnapping yes.

aarontsuru

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
It's not for assault. It for accidents on the road while riding great distances away for your home. I'm actually not sure how this would help an assaulted victim anyway. Kidnapping yes.
I guess, if you aren't home by a certain time, they can check and see that there was an interruption. Ignoring the joke of after an accident telling someone to "pause your strava" (old joke, but still), if you logged in and saw the phone stagnate or off course and stopped at a hospital, it would be handy.

But then again.... As someone said, find my friends probably does it too without running strava.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I guess, if you aren't home by a certain time, they can check and see that there was an interruption. Ignoring the joke of after an accident telling someone to "pause your strava" (old joke, but still), if you logged in and saw the phone stagnate or off course and stopped at a hospital, it would be handy.

But then again.... As someone said, find my friends probably does it too without running strava.
To be honest. The location tracking on iphone is pretty damn good. Anytime I need to see where my 17 year old is, I just open up her messages and go to location. But the ability to automatically notify someone when you start riding is cool. Sometimes I leave early in the morning to ride to work and my wife freaks out when she wakes up.

aarontsuru

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
To be honest. The location tracking on iphone is pretty damn good. Anytime I need to see where my 17 year old is, I just open up her messages and go to location. But the ability to automatically notify someone when you start riding is cool. Sometimes I leave early in the morning to ride to work and my wife freaks out when she wakes up.
True, I could see Apple knocking off a feature like this in their watch or something. But, as far as leaving early, I'm the early bird in the family and I always fire off a text when I'm heading out. Though, on weekend rides & runs, I tend to get home before anyone's awake. I'm a reeeeeally early bird and they are definitely not. lol

Reactions: citi

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
You can't race segments on the free version . If you don't care for that then yes don't waste $
Yes you can. The extra data that strava premium give you is being able to see trends in those segments, your historical data, heart rate, strengths etc. It's really cool but I stopped paying for premium. I've been using garmin connect and I have been "tolerating" it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.