Strava

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by Fireball Dragon, May 1, 2015.

1. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Has anyone tried the Strava app with their Apple Watch yet? Would be interested to hear some feedback.

2. woodyas macrumors newbie

I have a Garmin Edge 510 to record all of my bike rides--and this transfers to Strava. That said, I tried the Strava app--and it seemed buggy. And it kept going back to the watch face--not staying on Strava.

Even if it was working...I would still prefer the big screen of Garmin when biking.

3. profets macrumors 68040

I've done a few rides with the watch, and while it's nice to use it to record a workout, it really doesn't match up with having a dedicated display mounted on the handlebars (aero bars in my case). I'm using to looking down and having a glance at Duration, Distance, Speed, Cadence, Grade all on one screen.

Also, I found it quite tough to interact with the watch while riding.

4. woodyas macrumors newbie

Yes...the Strava app for the watch is nothing special...especially if you are already using the Garmin Edge to track everything. And I found it was not responsive--and switched back to the watch face.

So yes: at least for now, the Strava app for the watch is a bust.

5. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Oh, okay.
    I use a Garmin, as well, to track my rides. Looks like I should keep using it and forget about Strava. ;)

6. Fthree macrumors 6502a

I have a Fenix 3 and use the garmin app. Love it

7. Older bird macrumors regular

Older bird

I have been with strava for years. The recent update has ruined it for me. It is buggy, it won't upload to health kit, etc. I started using cyclemeter last week and I am very impressed. Like Apple products, it just works. The Apple watch interference is smooth and it even loads my rides and runs to strava so I can still compete with my friends. Very impressed!

8. Fireball Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Thanks for the replies. Well, that's certainly disapointing. I was quite looking forward to the Strava app on the AW. I have a fenix 3 anyway, but was just curious to see what functionality the Strava app brings.

9. pakyooh macrumors 6502

pakyooh

Tried it today. Launched the app from the watch and went 100ft or so to check on it. The recording restarted to :00 again.

The app update description instructs:

To record an activity on AW, first launch Strava on your iPhone and then push start on your watch.

Going to give that a try tomorrow.

Just not sure though if Strava and Activity monitor is link. Do I also start the workout app to log the info or does Strava transfer the data to Activity as a workout?

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Do some of the Garmin Edges give you Strava real-time segment updates? (I know my Edge 500 doesn't but it's pretty basic). Because the Watch app does.