Stream audio from phone App to Stereo

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adam9c1, Oct 15, 2015.

?

Will this work?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Maybe

4. You try it and let us know

5. I only clicked here because there is nothing else to select

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

What is the best way to stream audio from a iPhone or iPad to a stereo receiver?
    Can I use Airport Express and plug 3.5mm to RCA L R on the radio (or is Airport Express used only to stream iTunes from a Mac or PC)?

If I can use Airport Express to do this, can I use it in a network where Airport Extreme is the router with WiFi turned off and 3rd party WAPs are in place (Airport Express would be a gateway between the network and radio, connected with RJ45).

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You could use a "bluetooth receiver" plugged into the stereo's aux input but you'd have to remain within bluetooth range.

If you're actually talking about the "Phone app" (making calls handsfree and hearing through the stereo), many of the available bluetooth receivers have a built-in mic for that. However, you'd have to be close enough to the mic/device to be heard. That range probably varies between models.

3. adam9c1 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam9c1

What I meant was an application that's on iPhone or iPad that plays online radio / streams radio. I would like to output that sound to a AV receiver.

Is the Airport Express limited to only iTunes?

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

No, third party apps can also stream to Airplay. I don't know if any app can but these are instructions for the TuneIn app, for example.

5. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

Yes you can do what you want with Airplay.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204289

You can use an Airport Express, Apple TV, or a receiver that has Airplay built-in.

If you need another router or access point, the Airport Express would work great. If not, get an Apple TV as you have a lot more features (including mirroring).

6. mfram macrumors 65816

Be aware that the Apple TV only has HDMI and Optical audio out. It does not have analog audio out (3.5mm, RCA, etc.).

7. adam9c1 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I already have Apple TV.

Currently don't have the AV receiver connected yet. I do remember using hdmi to VGA plus audio converters at my last job. They were about $50
    Our projectors did not accept hdmi and had to take VGA.

Is it possible to turn off the WAP functionality of AIrport Express and use it as a media converter only?

8. mfram macrumors 65816

Yes. You can also use the Express as a wireless client to join an existing wireless network and use it as an audio bridge. I have one in my bedroom for that purpose.