Stream Audio over Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Truebe, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Truebe macrumors newbie

I have a g5 tower which does not have airport installed, I use it as my main itunes library. However due to a recent move my stereo and computer are now in separate rooms, and I'd prefer not to have to run long audio cables between the tower and the stereo, is there a way I can send audio via the ethernet, much in the same manner as airport express and airtunes, but not over wireless?

Thanks for your help.

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I don't think that this is possible unless your stereo has an ethernet jack (I've never seen or heard of one that does though) plus I don't think that iTunes will support streaming unless it is over AirTunes. Also what is the difference between running ethernet cables through your house versus audio cables? Your best bet, is to get an AirPort Express, and hook you stereo up to that, and then hook your G5 up to an AirPort Extreme/Express, and use AirTunes.

Sorry that I couldn't be much help!

Don

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well for stereo audio, you would need 2 analog cables (ore one thicker stereo cable) vs. one ethernet cable. And analog audio is subject to degradation and interference with longer cable length.