Stream Audio To Another Mac?

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
I have a new mbp and my G5 with an optical connection to my speakers. Is their someway to stream the audio out of my mbp to my G5 over my network?

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Rokem said:
Is their someway to stream the audio out of my mbp to my G5 over my network?
Not sure exactly if this is what you want, but you can definitely share your iTunes library on the MBP and play any of the tunes from there on your G5 using the standard iTunes sharing.

B

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I'm not sure why the itunes sharing would not work for you. Seems like the simplest and sleekest way to get it done. All you have to is turn on the sharing on the MBP and then it will be available in the iTunes on the G5.

Are you trying to stream to the G5 while controlling the music from the MBP? I haven't seen any programs that can do that.

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
wwooden said:
Are you trying to stream to the G5 while controlling the music from the MBP? I haven't seen any programs that can do that.
While the OP hasn't explained what the goal is and why iTunes sharing is not ideal, nettunes which was mentioned before essentially does exactly that.
Another way to do that, which I have used is to remotely control the other machine using the usual tools, VNC or Remote Desktop Client if Windows is involved...

As far as coding your own apps that are compatible: Start with mt-daap and ourtunes (Google them) and you can get a good headstart.

Note that you can bet that iTV wil use the exact same protocols as iTunes->iTunes sharing, especially since they have also used that for iPhoto sharing.

B

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
A really cool app would be one that makes your Mac appear as an Airport Express for music streaming (so your Mac would simply appear as a set of remote speakers in iTunes on the ither machines on your network).

Rogue Amoeba are you listening?

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
thanks balamw for the links.
the reason just itunes streaming isnt good enough becuase i use vlc and other programs and using the g5 like remote speakers is ideal.

to the person who recomended vlc, what are you trying to point out?

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Rokem said:
to the person who recomended vlc, what are you trying to point out?
Probably that VLC can be used to stream media over a network, and can be remotely controlled through a web interface.

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
telecomm said:
Probably that VLC can be used to stream media over a network, and can be remotely controlled through a web interface.
Furthermore, maintaining sync between the audio and video is next to impossible when you use "remote speakers" from the machine decoding the video. It's much better to stream or access the file itself from the network and render both the audio and video on the notebook.

This is why Airfoil is not recommended for video applications.

B