Stream from a HTPC?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aerodoc, Apr 4, 2010.

1. aerodoc macrumors member

With wireless n, could one use a rdp or vnc to view media center on an iPad? Would it actually be decent video?

I tried it with wireless g and logmein but it's not so hot. Wondering if there are better solutions out there

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I don't think you'd get decent enough framerate to watch video.

3. aerodoc thread starter macrumors member

But yet media center extenders can? Or do those buffer everything?

4. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I would assume they buffer, but I suppose its worth a shot.

5. aerodoc thread starter macrumors member

Just tried the abc app and it works great in real time so it can be done, at least in theory. The better question is if it can be done in reality and what app would do it?

6. h00ligan macrumors 68030

They aren't capturing rdc sessions. Better example would be playon media server. There are some whs that will allow streaming to apple devices but afaik they are the hp series. Damn two posts about the hp servers tonight....I swear I don't work for em! Fwiw. It's not super speedy from my tests but I just got this media smArt too., excuse the iPad typos. Still getting used to this keyboard.

Fwiw I have a FAST server(not the whs) and winadmin sh--s the bed if I launch a media file.

7. ElZeus macrumors regular

Airvideo app. They're awaiting iPad app approval but the iPhone version works ok on the iPad.

8. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

I'd love the ability to stream movies, tv shows and podcasts from my macmini or iMac to my iPad while at home. The wireless n is more than capable of this. Any know of apps that can stream from a desktop Mac to the iPad? All my videos are in iTunes, would just love to be able to stream that stuff instead of having to copy sync them to the iPad.

9. aerodoc thread starter macrumors member

I have air video and that is definitely not what I am talking about.