Stream from Linux box as an iTunes Library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by paulobrad, Jul 13, 2008.

1. paulobrad macrumors regular

I'm looking to set up my music library on a linux box and get it to appear as a library in my iTunes on my mac (and visible on my new iTunes remote app on iPhone).

There are some guides online but they don't seem very clear - I believe I need to use rendezvous - anyone able to advise or point me in the direction of a good guide?

Cheers.

2. paulobrad thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to bump this but I'm still confused on how to do this - there must be lots of people who want to or have done this?

3. matperk macrumors 6502

I have a strange setup. I use a box running Ubuntu as a media center/server. I store my iTunes library on there, but have my mac mount the folder it's in and the mac iTunes manages the library. When I want to listen to my music remotely, I have a web system called Ampache (www.ampache.org), which allows me to stream everything. I just have it index the iTunes folder, not modify it.

4. paulobrad thread starter macrumors regular

The limitation here being I need my Mac left on, I'd quite like to have my Xubuntu media server stand alone and with a bonefide iTunes Library so I can use the iPhone remote to control my Airport Express.

I've seen this; http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030711140157143 but I find it hard to follow.

5. evillageprowler macrumors regular

To the OP:

I don't know if this is what you want, but I run mt-daapd on my Linux server and serves my music archive onto my home network. My iTunes software on my PC (I don't actually have a Mac at home) recognizes the mt-daapd daemon on my Linux box and I am able to play my music (that are on my Linux box) via iTunes.

Caveats: this only works, I believe, for un-protected files and I also haven't tried the remote to play the mt-daapd archive.

HTH,

EVP

6. paulobrad thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers - that half solves my problem, my music appears as a handy network library in iTunes but to use the iPhone remote to control it needs me to enter a 4 digit code in iTunes, which I'm clearly not running on the media server.

Any way round this? Cheers.

7. johsw macrumors newbie

Same here

I got your exact setup, and I would really like to do this as well (to be able to control stream from firefly on linux to airport express using iphone)

Have you made any progress?

Best,
    /Johs

8. BayouBengal macrumors regular

iTunes on your Mac is what is playing the music and the Linux box is just storing and serving up the files right? Just pair the Remote app with you Mac's iTunes and it should be just dandy. You're just telling iTunes to look at the networked drive on the Linux box right?

9. cruiserandmax macrumors newbie

I think the OP wanted to be able to have the server running entirely on the linux box, so it can be served to the mac, or an airport, or whatever.

I'm trying to do the exact same thing, I have a ubuntu linxu server which is on all the time and serves media to every device in my house. I'm considering runing iTunes through wine on the linux machine, but haven't tried it yet.

OP- did you ever get this straightened out?