Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
London
I've had an iSight for a while but I barely get to use it, as a result of all of my friends using msn. So I thought I might see if I could stream video to the web from it, the only problem is I have no idea how.

I've found some software like evocam which will allow me to stream it using personal web sharing and I can get it to work over my network. But how can I get this to work over the net? I'm running 10.3.7 and have a dsl connection I'm not sure if it has a static IP, but I never disconnect my modem anyway so it's not going to change is it? I will try to request a static IP anyway.
Am I able to stream directly from personal web sharing or do I need to go through my web hosting? Any help would be really great, I know how to set up regular websites, and I'm sure I could set it up to ftp pictures from the webcam every so often, but I have no idea how to stream video. Or if it is even possible without great expense.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

phoenixau

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2006
Streami isight via Personal web server

Hiya,
I managed to run a web server, using personal webserver and dyndns.org - it's free, and probably not the only service that would allow you to create a static web addy.
I'm abit vague on how to do it all, but from recollection, you download an agent, which updates the host of your ip address.
That's my suggestion anyways :).

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
Hi-

I am very interested in this as well and there doesn't seem to be very much information on this on these boards. My girlfriend's apartment was broken into and her 17" Powerbook was stolen last week and I am looking into using Evocam or SecuritySpy to set up a motion activated IP cam that will record to a webserver (among other things) to increase security at her apartment. Does anyone have any experience with different models of IP Cams or should I stick with an iSight (which I have already) and use firewire extensions or possibly an X11 solution? Also, any insights or reviews of these softwares would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I would highly recommend that anyone with a laptop look into buying "Lojack for Laptops" or "Undercover" as I sure wish I had since the insurance probably won't cover the full cost to fully replace the machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.