Stream iTunes Content to Apple TV on "different" Wi-Fi Network

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by clintonhutson, Dec 1, 2015.

1. clintonhutson macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

New to the forum here. First of all, I am an avid Apple TV user. I have 4 in various locations around my house. With that being said, I do travel some with work, and things of that sort and I would love to be able to stream movies from my computer on my home network, to a separate network.

I have around a 3 TB iTunes library, and would love to be able to get this media on the road as well. Is there ANY way this is possible? Jailbreaking can be done if necessary as I do have a 2nd Generation model as well.

Thanks for any help or advice you might have!

- Clint

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I assume the 3 TB Library are Ripped Video Files (or home movies) which can be played outside of iTunes. With that there are multiple apps on the Apple TV 4 that can access a video library that is not local to the Apple TV. You would need to setup a server with a protocol that you can be access thru your firewall (your router). I use DynDNS to setup a domain name that points to my home dynamic ip address. And in the firewall you have to use port forwarding to your Media Server. I am playing with Infuse on my iPad now to access files over SMB (in home) to my NAS Server and works pretty well. I am testing this because the Infuse 4 App for Apple TV 4 has just completed Beta and I expect it out soon but there are others. Let's say you setup a FTP Server on your home network pointing to your medial library. You could then connect via FTP to your home network. But that is just an example. I assume Plex Server might also be a good approach. There is now a Plex Client App for the Apple TV 4. Above I said I was use SMB to access my files. SMB is not the best when going over the Internet so I don't recommend using it. VPN's can also be good for better security. I use the Synology NAS Server which also has a built in VPN Server. Lot's of options with the new Apple TV 4. I assume there are options with jailbreaking Apple TV 2 but I prefer the Apple TV 4.

3. LOLobo macrumors member

PlexConnect, no Jailbreak necessary if ATV2 or ATV3.
    Plex on ATV4

You would need to have the Plex server software installed pointing to your library.

4. Poontaco macrumors regular

Plex is a great option. Also, Plex is good too. And then there is Plex as well.
    I personally use Plex, but I've heard others really like Plex. If you want something that is very easy to use, try Plex. And if you want something that looks great, have a look at Plex.